• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Galah has no interest in me?

justin742

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello & thank you in advance for reading my post,

Back in Jan 2020, I saw an advertisement of a 5 y/o male galah (rose-breasted cockatoo) from a lovely elderly lady who had him since he was a baby. She was rehoming him because she was in the midst of battling cancer, and it wasn't looking so good. I took him in and she sadly lost her battle a week or so after he had arrived.

My mother used to have an umbrella cockatoo who was bonded with an amazon parrot, so I knew what I was going to get myself into & had some experience. I've been following Birdtricks on YouTube for years, and have recently stumbled upon Flock Life.

My issue is he still has absolutely no interest in me (other than wanting to come out of his cage), and its hit or miss with men, but when it comes to women, it's like he instantly trusts them. Example: as soon as he met my mother it was an instant bond, she got him on her shoulder, and he was all cuddly, & she hasn't been bit yet. I sadly can't reach out to the previous owner to see why this may be (other than he was raised by a woman or possibly a bad encounter with a man?), but I'm trying to do my best daily on training him with a pointer (currently using a chop stick) and clicker to reinforce good behavior, while also actively trying to recognize his triggers, and I feel like we've hit a wall. He is so quick to loose interest in anything I do, even when there's nothing going on around us.

When he bites or throws a temper tantrum, I keep my cool, don't react, and simply just place him on his perch, or any place he can't directly interact with me, and ignore him for a couple minutes before resuming interaction. I have safe foraging toys, chew toys, ect. within his cage, and the areas he has access to on a daily basis.

I just want what's best for him, and I want him to be happy & living his best life.

My beautiful boy:
clancyboy.jpg

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I think sometimes they just like who they like!

I have a rescue SC2 who very clearly prefers men- he ignores me if he can see my son or male cousin even though I’m the only one who ever feeds him and brings him good things. I’m also the only one who rescues him when he falls off his perches and spends significant time chatting to him and hanging out with him but he’d still rather bite me and play up to the men if they’re around.
I’m not really sure that there’s a way to change their chosen preferences but as I have no expectations of Birdie I just accept that all I am to him is the annoying food bringer lol.

justin742

I think sometimes they just like who they like!

I have a rescue SC2 who very clearly prefers men- he ignores me if he can see my son or male cousin even though I’m the only one who ever feeds him and brings him good things. I’m also the only one who rescues him when he falls off his perches and spends significant time chatting to him and hanging out with him but he’d still rather bite me and play up to the men if they’re around.
I’m not really sure that there’s a way to change their chosen preferences but as I have no expectations of Birdie I just accept that all I am to him is the annoying food bringer lol.
I guess so! His whispers of sweet nothings and random peek-a-boos just pull at my heart strings the right way when he wants out of his cage. I just wanna snuggle him up lol. :D

Last edited:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Parrots do seem to chose who they like and don't like.
I've seen them change though over the years also.
I've an Amazon, had him since a baby and he bonded with my daughters.
For years he had no interest in me. Finally my daughters moved out and all he had was me.
Still just tolerated me. :(
About 3 to 4 years later, he bent his head for a scritch!
I've had this darn bird for 23 years, and he finally has decided I'm okay.
Still not the deep love he had (and still has) for my daughters, but we're now friends.
Don't despair. Be patient, be respectful. Just be there.
I have to say, you're baby is beautiful. :heart:

justin742

Parrots do seem to chose who they like and don't like.
I've seen them change though over the years also.
I've an Amazon, had him since a baby and he bonded with my daughters.
For years he had no interest in me. Finally my daughters moved out and all he had was me.
Still just tolerated me. :(
About 3 to 4 years later, he bent his head for a scritch!
I've had this darn bird for 23 years, and he finally has decided I'm okay.
Still not the deep love he had (and still has) for my daughters, but we're now friends.
Don't despair. Be patient, be respectful. Just be there.
I have to say, you're baby is beautiful. :heart:
That gives me some more hope! I'm glad your amazon decided you're okay! :D
I think I got a little spoiled with my mothers parrots being so cuddly with just everyone haha!
We have our boundaries set, and I like to think I'm pretty good at reading his body language. I also try to put myself in his situation, and he will never understand why who he grew up with and learned so much from is gone.
All in all he is a wonderful bird, and a pleasure to have around.

Here's his cute little voice:

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welcome2: Justin!

Your Galah is certainly is gorgeous! Awwww it sounds like he has the elderly woman's voice! Just like my Chico!

I second the advice to be patient. I took in a Panama Amazon, Chico, who hated women. I believe he was bonded to the grandpa of the family who he eventually lost. (The granddaughter, fed up with his aggression and noise was going to euthanise him.) Despite his severe arthritis and being almost blind, he would throw himself at the cage bars and climb desperately lunging at and trying to bite his former female rescuer and then me. But he would melt at the sound of a male voice. It took about 6 months to be able to skitch his head through the cage bars.... very carefully. Now some 8 years later, I am noticing he welcomes me as he used to his beloved men when I have been out for a few hours. I also notice that he now no longer pays that much attention to male visitors. I think, at last, he prefers me and what I can offer him... treats and lovely skritches now without the protection of cage bars. I still wouldn't ask Chico to step up on my hand as I believe he would maul it. Perhaps if he was an only bird I would have more time to spend training him. It certainly is possible for parrots to swap allegiance - just keep pairing yourself with good experiences like favourite treats etc.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Your bird is beautiful. Galahs in general are not snuggly birds like U2s. Their personalities I think are more aloof. If his owner was a female, it's natural that he will gravitate towards women because that's what he is used. As said, just be patient. My goffin vastly preferred my fiance when we first got him. Now, he's all about me. I am honestly kind of luke warm on Bird Tricks. I don't agree with everything they teach. I would look instead to Barabara Heindenreich or Pamela Clarke for training advice.