• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My galah cockatoos acts like he hates me!

LouieTiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabella
I got my galah cockatoo almost 4 months ago. They have always been my dream bird, and I waited years until the bird store owner got them in. He is my first cockatoo, but I had done so much research on them and I felt like I was finally ready to get him. In the store, he was a very nervous baby compared to his siblings. He would fly all around, trying to get away from me. I brought him home a few weeks later, and at first he was scared to come out of the cage, but then after a week, he was stepping up and was comfortable around my family and I. He played with my cockatiel, he’d flip upside down and scream, and he was just a really silly and sweet bird. A few weeks after he came home, he started to hate my mom. He’d run or fly away from her, and try to bite her any time she came near. She hadn’t done anything to him, and she hadn’t changed anything about her appearance. We kind of just ignored that because he’s my bird anyways, and she didn’t really care that he didn’t love her. He was really bonded with my dad and I though. Then one day, my dad had to shave his beard for work, and Rocket was scared of him. He wanted nothing to do with him, and he’d fly away. So now he only liked my sister and I. Then, a few weeks later he started hating my sister, even though she had done nothing, and nothing in her appearance had changed. Still, we didn’t really think too much of it, because he still liked me. Then, last Saturday I wasn’t able to take him out of his cage in the morning like I usually do, and I come home and try to take him out, and he was scared of me. He would bite my hand, fly away, jump, scream, and hiss. I’m scared he’s going to hurt himself because of how he tries to get away from me. The thing is, after I put him in his cage at night, he acts friendly and lets me pet him and he talks. It’s just outside of the cage where he won’t play, and acts like a chicken. I have asked a lot of people, and no one can seem to understand why he’s like this. He was $3000, and plus I love him so much so I could never think of rehoming him, but I just want my buddy back. Does anyone know why he is acting like this?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sounds like he does has no trust for any for you but it does not sound like he “hates” you. I don’t believe birds can hate, but everything you describe has me picturing you chasing this bird to have him do what you want which would certainly make him loose trust that you’re ok or safe to be around.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
How old is your bird?
Age will help us figure out what may be happening.
4 months does seem like a short time for such huge behavior changes.

LouieTiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabella
Thank you for all your replies. He’s 5 months old. I understand that you’re not supposed to chase them around but it’s the only way we could get him back in his cage

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
At 5 months, are you still handfeeding? I know Galah's can wean younger than most, but am not sure what is the normal age for them to wean.
Is he weaned, or still in the process?
You must have fed him at least in the beginning, if you've had him since 4 weeks old?

LouieTiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabella
Sorry about that I got him on June 5th so he was probably around 4 months old when I got him, and he’s 6 months now I was a bit off. He was weaned quickly and was eating solid food by the time I got him home so I didn’t need to hand feed him.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Have you ever tried handfeeding him some warm, mushed up food from your hands?
Many of us have 'stretched' handfeeding this way as the birds love it and does help a bond begin.
Maybe offer some of your warm healthy food while you're eating. Scrambled eggs (no butter), sweet potato, warmed applesauce. etc..
See if you can develop something that he connects with good when you come near.
You need to rebuild that trust. I'm guessing hate is not at all involved, but fear and insecurity is.
He's too young to really hate anyone.....If anything he's in a baby rebellion stage and you're just not reacting correctly.
Birds go through many stages as they grow. They get insecure, rebellious, bluff, etc..
Understand it's not personal, it's him not understanding what you want, and vice a versa.

Also make sure no one scolds/punishes for this behavior.
Are you sure no one has hit his cage? or teased him in anyway when you're not watching?

LouieTiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabella
I’m making some scrambled eggs right now so maybe he’ll take them from me! I just don’t think he’s going to take them from me because every time I stick my hand in there he runs away and hides (I’m not being loud about it, I usually put my hand in quietly and gently and try to offer him his favorite snacks but he still won’t take them) Also, no one in the family bangs on his cage or does anything loud or crazy near him so I don’t think it’s that. I have a camera facing his cage and it’s on always so I could tell if someone was doing anything. I will let you know what he thinks of the eggs

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If he won't come to you, just make some yum noises, show him you're eating it, drop it in his dish and walk away.
Let him check it out slowly.
Do this often, you want him to see you, and think good things are coming.
Food is the easiest way to start this. Later other things you do he'll look forwards to.
Be patient, you'll get there with him. :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
That's great news!
Go slow, speak softly.
Try whispers at times, all of my birds love when I whisper, they lean really close, widen their eyes like trying to understand what I'm doing.
You have many, many years ahead of you. Take your time, and you'll get there. There is no hurry.
I'd love to see some more photos if it doesn't scare your bird.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Awe, gorgeous bird!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
She's 'watching wild Galahs' like it's the most normal thing in the world! :hilarious:
Is for me lol. I had to emergency brake for a whole flock of them this morning and was so pleased with myself that they all got away safely even if I was annoyed at spilling my coffee :laugh:

LouieTiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabella
You’re so lucky you can just watch them outside! They are so gorgeous!! He’s still only 5 months old and hasn’t molted yet but once he does he’ll get his brighter feathers in