• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My friends cockateil

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Hi guys my friend recently lost his cockateil about 2 weeks ago from an unknown reason it got ill and died with in a week my friend was unaware of checking a birds droppings for signs of illnesses and by the time he realized it was too late and it didnt survive the car journey to the vets:(

At first he didnt want to do a necrospy because he didnt want to get another bird as he didnt want to replace his baby. After 2 weeks he didnt like the fact that the house was quite and misses his bird a lot so is thinking about getting another one.

The only thing I warned him about is that diseases can stay on surfaces and to disinfect everything and the whole bird room to ensure this bird doesnt get infected with whatever his last bird had. He isn't planning on getting it anytime soon would it be a good idea to wait and how long as well as the disinfection would he have to do the whole house or the one room. What about the funiture and how long do most bird diseases last on surfaces and in the air.

Thanks the the advice much appreciated.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Most illnesses only last a few hours to a few days on surfaces, with the exception of PPD, which has been observed months later.

Just disinfect the bird room if that's the only room the bird will be in, and wash hands before going into the room. Should be sufficient.