• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 My friend's African grey has bad diarrhea and is lethargic. What should he do?

LMan98

Meeting neighbors
My friend's 12 year old African grey has recently been having bad diarrhea and is acting really lethargic. He says there are little green spots in the poop and he doesn't know what to do.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Your friend's bird really needs to go to a vet. Diarrhea can indicate a very serious illness.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Make sure the bird is kept warm and drinks. They tend to dehydrate when ill.

LMan98

Meeting neighbors
He tried to use a syringe in his mouth to give him water because he doesn't think he is strong enough.

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Is this an avian vet? When my Amazon became ill, she was unable to perch, the vet I had never seen before took her in as soon as I could get her there, he understood how quickly birds need to be seen. I can't offer any advice as I am not trained in this area. Keep us posted.

LMan98

Meeting neighbors
Is this an avian vet? When my Amazon became ill, she was unable to perch, the vet I had never seen before took her in as soon as I could get her there, he understood how quickly birds need to be seen. I can't offer any advice as I am not trained in this area. Keep us posted.
yes, this is the best rated avian vet in his area, and I will keep you guys posted to what happens.

LMan98

Meeting neighbors
UPDATE: ok now my friend says he fell off his perch (its not high up) so that means he can't stand on his own. It's sad, he was always so talkative, now he is just limp. But he is still alive and breathing, sooo yea.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Abel,
Speak to your friend and see if there is another vet in the area that could see him before his regular vet. Maybe an emergency clinic? If ther´s nowhere in their city, try looking at the next city over. Keep expanding the search until they find someone that will see their bird asap.