• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My friend completely cut off this bird's tail

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I read this thread this morning. There are much worse things that could have happened to this little guy. He has a home and will live a great life now. His tail will grow back. Personally I think we should just be happy about that.
I would not imp a cockateils tail. Stress, the glue weight, the glue smell and it's not life threatening.

I didn't imp Maui's tail because it was not needed. I imped his wing as it was threatening his life.

Just my opinion. ;)

Ephy

Walking the driveway
I don't think my friend meant to hurt the bird--she did treat her with a lot of care. She just overloaded her cage with toys and thought cutting would be better for her. After we fought, I noticed she cut everything off and she complained that I was telling her how to handle her bird. :-(
Please stop defending the actions of this person.

Taking care of any living, breathing, life requires responsibility, intelligence, commitment and humility.

I think you would be better off distancing yourself from a person like this.
Her actions towards a helpless pet speaks volumes on the kind of person she is in real life.
Everytime you defend or make excuses for her VERY BAD behaviour you are only allowing it to continue.

How will she ever learn or change or identify how wrong her behaviour is.

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
Wow! Goes to show how disgusting and cruel people can be these days! I wouldn’t even consider her a “friend” if I were you. It breaks my heart to see a sharp cut on her/his tail. I know you will take good care:):)

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
That is not the action of a sane or emotionally balanced person.
Once is ignorance, twice is abuse and cruelty. Why is it abuse? She was told and given reasons and education about why, and chose to do it again, to hurt you, knowing that it can cause balancing issues in the bird and lead to potential injury if it falls. While I won't armchair diagnose the friend that is *not*normal or healthy and I am glad you are now in possession of the bird. I can only echo what others have said by suggesting towels and soft things on the cage bottom to avoid injury during falls. You want textured perches, not wooden dowels which are easier for him to grab right now. There's safe twine/ropes you can wrap around any dowel perches though to make them easier to hold and grip.

This person should have have an animal again.

Cricketful

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Laura
I appreciate it, everyone! I will say the bird is doing insanely well now. He--I guess it's a He--just had a ton of scritches (he loved it) and is napping next to me. I have taken your advice and have altered the cage. I have a cockatiel that he knows, so they are currently sharing a cage and are getting along well. I'll take him to the vet to get looked at. I feel bad when my Cricket cockatiel flies around him. But I'm hoping that soon he'll join in. He's apparently had his tail cut off like that for over a year before I saw him. I do notice that he is no longer singing and whistling, but it might be from the sudden move.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
@Cricketful Welcome to the Avenue! Thank you for giving this baby a loving home!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Please stop defending the actions of this person.

Taking care of any living, breathing, life requires responsibility, intelligence, commitment and humility.

I think you would be better off distancing yourself from a person like this.
Her actions towards a helpless pet speaks volumes on the kind of person she is in real life.
Everytime you defend or make excuses for her VERY BAD behaviour you are only allowing it to continue.

How will she ever learn or change or identify how wrong her behaviour is.
What's done is done. Nobody really wants to throw a friend under the bus - I'm fairly sure that all of us have had one or two strange friends whom we would have loved to give a good shove but we didn't. Gently leave that circle of friends and, if asked about Pebbles, just say that "Pebbles is doing well, thank you for asking". Being quiet is not cowardly if it helps to save an animal's life and I do not mean ignoring abuse. Sometimes you can help save a life by not being antagonistic.

My gut feeling towards people who are cruel to any type of creature would be to put that person in the exact same situation. See how they like it.

Leave the OP alone because Pebbles has a safe home now. She did what she felt she had to in order to save Pebbles from an abusive and uninformed situation.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
OMG! please let that bird go to someone who will love it and treat it with respect!
It did. :loveshower:

I appreciate it, everyone! I will say the bird is doing insanely well now. He--I guess it's a He--just had a ton of scritches (he loved it) and is napping next to me. I have taken your advice and have altered the cage. I have a cockatiel that he knows, so they are currently sharing a cage and are getting along well. I'll take him to the vet to get looked at. I feel bad when my Cricket cockatiel flies around him. But I'm hoping that soon he'll join in.
See? :swoon:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Cricketful
:hello1:

Well done. I am extremely appreciative that you gave a voice to the voiceless. I am confident that under your loving care little Pebble will rebound. Ideally it would be good to quarantine your new baby from Cricket. However if they are already interacting they may have already shared everything. No need to panic at this point.

Pebble will probably be feeling very vulnerable for several months. Do what you can to boost self confidence. Try your hardest to not stare at him much. I know that is the hardest thing about a new pet, but with birds it helps build trust. Human vision, both eyes forward, is a little scary to a prey animal. I would try turning your back to him and reading or singing etc. When birds trust other birds they turn their back to them :)

Again I am so happy Pebble is starting a new life. There will be some hurdles but we will help you through this the best we can!