• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My friend completely cut off this bird's tail

Loveofbird

Walking the driveway
Thank you all! She told me she was only letting her grow her wings out to make me happy and that cutting them helps her move better, that her tail got in the way. I have taken the bird, renamed her so that she gets a new life, and have given her a much better cage (cleaner and larger). I am going to take her to the vet soon just to get her checked out. I've been having issues with this friend--family friend--in other ways too.

Is this bird also male?? My friend said it was female but it's a normal grey and can sing (I had started teaching her when I visited), whistles, loves mirrors, etc. I gave her a unisex name (Pebble) versus her female name before.
I'm pretty sure with cockatiels you have to get a blood test from the vet to officially know if it's male or female though singing is a good indication of a male. Females that can sing as well but it's really a male thing. Hope all goes well with Pebble

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I'm pretty sure with cockatiels you have to get a blood test from the vet to officially know if it's male or female though singing is a good indication of a male. Females that can sing as well but it's really a male thing. Hope all goes well with Pebble
Most can be sexed visually after their first molt.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I would never let this person around this poor bird ever again, not even for a second. Or your bird.
Or around yourself for that matter
What a horrible thing to do. I can't say the things I really want to.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Your "friend" is an awful excuse for a human being.

I think maybe putting some towels or fleece in the bottom of the cage would be a good idea, seeing as the bird's balance is probably off due to the lack of flight and tail feathers.

I hope this baby can recover soon, poor honey. It certainly seems he's in a better situation now, I'm glad he's in caring hands.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm glad you have this baby now. Madone a mi!....Who the #+// cuts off a birds tail? Let alone all the primary and secondary flights? Sorry honey, well intention or not of your freind, just stupid or a better way to say it, uneducated
.it will take months for him to molt and regain confidence and flight, which I'm sure he will do under your care.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Makes me cringe. I did not want to even look at the carnage. Have heard some people even cutting through bone so the wing can never be used again. Just no words for the brutality inflicted on this innocent creature. Will need low perches & padded cage so it does not try to fly crash & crack its keel bone or head.

Male cockatiel least 1 year.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm very glad you've got this bird now. There are people here who can help with rehabilitation & there are many great resources on food, toys, etc.

Personally, I'd be uncomfortable around this person, especially alone. They sound either seriously unbalanced or just plain mean.

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Oh really can you tell me how? And does this include different morphs as well?
On a normal grey like this, the vivid yellow face and orange cheek patch signals a definite male. It gets a little murky once mutations are considered, but females will have barred tail feathers while males won't. It can be difficult to tell on especially light birds, such as lutinos or some pieds, but the bars are still there in the right light.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my gosh, this poor bird! What absolute butchery; she could easily have chopped through flesh and muscle and done irreparable damage. This is absolutely, without question, horrendous abuse. A bird needs his tail, not only in flight but for the simple act of maintaining balance on a perch, as you noticed. She needs to never be given sole custody of an animal again, especially considering the fact that she was completely willing to harm her own pet out of spite because of a petty argument she had with a friend. I really can't even put into words how repugnant this is.

Thank you will all of my heart for buying Pebble from her, and giving him the home he deserves. I can't wait to see him fully feathered and flying again one day! You're an absolute angel.

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
I am so glad you have the bird!! I’m not sure how you can accidentally cut tail feathers especially that close. To do something to the bird to get even with you sounds awful. I can’t judge because I wasn’t there but from what you wrote in the initial post it does sound like abuse. I am happy you were able to adopt Pebble! I’m sure he is going to lead a healthy life with you! It’s great you have your birds eating pellets, don’t forget to incorporate a little bit seeds (if you can sprouted seeds are really nutritious) in their diet.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh this just makes me sick! I’m so glad this bird is now in your care, and I hope he doesn’t accidentally hurt himself. I love the new name!

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
This is horrifying. To willfully do that to a bird...yikes. And if true that the intention was to aid in movement, I’d think that person would need supervision around animals in the future because that just makes no sense (considering the tail is actually there for stability in the first place). If the person was very young...maybe? But even then it’s a chilling thing to do to a little bird. And if done intentionally to harm or out of pride (just because someone told them not to) that person needs a serious mental health evaluation.
I’m very glad this little one has a new, better home now. I definitely wouldn’t let the previous owner near this bird again tho.

brdfvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Krystal
Wow, I have no words. Who cuts off a birds tail? The cage must have been too small. I wouldn't call it abuse, but if she did it out if spite, she's a very immature person. Glad you have pebble

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Seeing this made my stomach drop. So much so I wonder whether a warning or something needs to be put somewhere?

What an awful, awful thing to do. Bird person or not, anyone with an inch of decency knows that this is wrong. It certainly is abuse and anybody who abuses animals is someone I would not want in my life.

Thank you @Cricketful , you did a wonderful thing by saving Pebbles. I'm sure he'll be a wonderful companion. As @taxidermynerd said, I'd take some extra measures, like going for a lower cage and padding the bottom.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bless you for taking this bird away from a life of misery. This "friend" (not what I'd call her) has some serious issues. I'd suggest counseling. Anyone that treats an animal, be it a bird, dog, cat, etc. with pure cruelty will also lash out at a child or others. Perhaps this person is in an abusive home?

It will take many months for the tail & wing feathers to molt out & new ones to grown in. I'd suggest no swing, keep perches & toys low if possible & pad the bottom of the cage. Offer pellets & fresh veggies, cut back on the seed.

brdfvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Krystal
Then where, pray tell, do you draw the line?
If the bird was well fed, had a clean cage etc. No I wouldn't call cutting feathers abuse as they do not have feeling and caused the bird no physical pain. It definitely will need extra care as it will take getting used to balancing without the feathers, but I had this happen from a proper wing clip on a bird as well.