• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My first 'too

Birdy888

Strolling the yard
Real Name
James
Thankfully Kyliegh didn't lay another egg. She has been chewing noticeably less cardboard and not seeking dark crevices like she had been.

I read that the problem with warm, soft foods is that they simulate regurgitated food. Kyliegh keeps trying to signal to me to regurgitate to her. She has actually regurgitated to me twice so far; the last time was almost a week ago. I have been trying to feed her room temperature foods in an effort to get her to not be broody. 3 eggs are more than enough. I'd like to keep her around for a long, long time.

She still wants to chew cardboard more than wood but she is chewing more wood now than she has since being with me. I am teaching her to play in a foraging "sandbox". She gets the concept but if I give her too much foraging real estate she gets overwhelmed and avoids it altogether. Still she's progressing nicely for having been here not quite 2 months. She hasn't tried to attack my wife during the last week or so. The dog is a different story. She's afraid of the dog and the dog's scared of her. If he gets too close she'll try to bite and scream rapidly in what I assume is an alarm call. He runs for the hills when she does that. They only get that close to each other at night because Kyliegh still won't stay in the cage for more than an hour before screaming. While that's an improvement over when I first got her, I want her to stay in the cage at night in part so the dog can't get too close. At any rate I am there to stop Kyliegh from biting the dog but I know that dog, bird, and hooman need to be better trained in that respect.

Birdy888

Strolling the yard
Real Name
James
Today I attached the brackets to the playstand I am building. I also cut some wood to use for the first module. I started a thread in the enrichment section to document the building of the playstand and I'll also share pictures of my progress in this thread.

I cut a finger on the table saw today because I was rushing. Thankfully ¹I didn't need stitches. I am extremely fortunate. That said I am attaching a picture of the stand as it is currently. There is a lot more coming in regard to the stand of course.

Tonight I got the rest of the pepper seedlings planted in individual pots. I planted some beet seeds in the planter that originally contained the pepper and sunflower seedlings. All of my plants are now outside except for the watercress which I am keeping indoors. The beet seeds should germinate within a week or so.

Kyliegh is going to have a smorgasbord once all these plants start producing. I have another planter or 2 which I'm going to plant radishes and turnips in. Once the plants get big enough I'll transfer them to their own pots. I'll keep some of them over the winter.

Attachments