• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My first encounter with a lost African grey

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
This guy was lost from his owner unsure how long. He was lucky enough that my brother found him outside & brought him to me. As soon as he saw me he started chatting. Once he saw my phone he kept saying ALOO for half an hour :laugh: he would shake his tail & lift his leg up …

I called my vet to get him checked & help me in finding the owner since there is a leg band. I told them to contact me if there is no owner. I hope I did the right thing sending him there.

Also I’m curious can you guys guess this guy age? 3-4 year old?

Attachments

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Really hard to tell a birds age once an adult. Hope he finds his way home & thankful for a loving place to land.

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
@Blueberry in Dubai it’s very common now to see a lost parrot.

@camelotshadow I was comparing him with my African grey female. She’s much older than him 15 years+.
That’s why I assumed he might be 3-4 years old. I do hope the owner contacts the vet. Or else I’ll have to find him a home.

What got me concerned the most is the tail wagging/shake I’ve never seen my grey doing that.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's beautiful. So nice of you to help him.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Why are there so many lost birds in Dubai?

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
Why are there so many lost birds in Dubai?
You cannot imagine the horror seeing so many lost pets posts.
Macaws, cockatoos, cockatiels & A LOT of African greys lost.

These birds could be lost or the owners decided to release them outside. It’s very common here to do this cats ,dogs & now birds. Wish people don’t get pets if they plan on neglecting them.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This is very sad. Could it be they cannot afford to keep them? Do you have animal rescue organizations like Humane Society here in US?

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
This is very sad. Could it be they cannot afford to keep them? Do you have animal rescue organizations like Humane Society here in US?
No, sadly we don’t have. A lot of scammers would set a rescue IG/FB account & scam people.
That’s why now it’s required for any rescue organization to register in the system.

As for neglectful owners, they resort to releasing pets for many reasons.

I wish people think about adopting & stop supporting pet shops here. I truly despise them.

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
Update :
There is no owner yet & the vet pretty much informed me there is high possibility of this parrot being returned to me. To take care of another bird something I can’t do I’ve hit my limit with 8 pets. No rescue group which makes things worse.

It’s simply not fair on my pets & this guy. I would be so distracted busy all the time. My family sadly some of them are so ignorant telling me to release this bird outside.. like why?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Have you made a posting with parrot alert. It is an international organisation for reuniting lost birds. I found someone's Eclectus and the posting via parrot alert helped. The bird was home the next day. I hope it helps :)

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
Sadly no owner ever showed up. The great news my brother was able to find a wonderful adopter he promised to update me.
I kinda have soft spot for this guy but need to face the reality it’s better to have him adopted & not to be kept at Vet too long.