• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My First Dove! Some Questions

shyanashay

Moving in
Real Name
Ana
D532B33C-9DD3-4E6E-9288-E9C803E0CE6E.jpeg
This is Olly!! He is a five year old Ringneck Dove. I am Olly’s third and final home. I adopted him from a woman off of Craigslist who adopted him from a magician! Before his previous owner, Olly had never really been socialized by the magician unless he was taken out for practice or performances. And then the magician retired and rehomed Olly to the lady I got him from. He has also not been socialized around other birds before he came to me, but he’s doing very well with my parrots!
D2388303-47C0-47ED-81FE-103A19956CD3.jpeg
I would say Olly is definitely domesticated but I wouldn’t necessarily say he’s 100% tame. I’ve read that it takes doves time to warm up to new people which is understandable! I just feel like Olly gets less tame each day. He isn’t the biggest fan of perching. Or being pet. And he definitely doesn’t enjoy head rubs or neck rubs. He will eat millet when I hold it up to him, and he will perch on my hand after a lot of reluctance. When I first got him, he could be content laying near me on my bed, but now he flies off to his cage. How can I get him to be more comfortable with me? I see a lot of people have their doves snuggle up next to them and I’d love reach that level of trust with Olly!
FE68A431-C52D-4188-9E49-794C5F4C7152.jpeg
This is Olly’s cage I got him. I would have more shelves but he’s only interested in his mirror and the branches. I just feel like his cage isn’t very homey and I’m not sure what I can do to make it more comfortable. Any suggestions? I’ve though about getting him a basket but I don’t think he’d be interested.
- How can I bond with Olly when he doesn’t really want to be handled?
- How is his cage setup? Should I get different toys? A basket?
- Do doves enjoy vegetables? How should I offer them? Chopped? Mixed with seed?
- Olly doesn’t eat much. Just once in the morning. Is that normal?
- Do doves enjoy sprouted seeds?
- Other than millet, what are some of their favorite treats?
- When he’s out of his cage, he just likes to stay in one spot. He doesn’t walk around or explore, and he isn’t interested or curious about anything. And he sits on his mirror perch all day unless he flies down to take a bath or eat or drink. Is all this normal?

Thanks in advance!

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Welcome and congratulations on your new bird! Doves are wonderful; I'm sure you will absolutely fall in love with Olly!

Re: the taming. I get where you're coming from. I feel like doves have a very different way of settling in and befriending humans than other birds. The ones I have never had a "crazy flying 'I think you're gonna eat me" stage the way some parrots do. They accept being around you but like you've noticed they don't seem to enjoy it, and given the option they usually stay away (and it's best to let them stay away - they need that time to puzzle through the situation and figure out if you're safe or not). I would say give it time. Only one of my doves is a cuddly fellow (to be fair two of the others are a happily bonded pair and the third is new to the flock) and I raised him from a baby so that's different. My gameplan with my new girl, Pepsi, is not to push it and just give her a chance to come around to trust me. She's chill around people - you can easily grab her if you need to - but what I'd really like is for her to want to be around me, and that only comes through trust and eventually seeing me as a friend. So I go her pace and let her do her thing. Recently she's started landing on me and hopping onto my arm when I'm sitting at my laptop, and today she let me step her up for the very first time. Small steps show that she's beginning to feel more at ease.

The cage you have for Olly is great! It's set up pretty well too, though I do think you could still improve it to make it more enjoyable for your dove. As you've found, doves do like perching so good perches are a must. Branches of different thicknesses are great. I do like the toys you have there for him but do remember that since he can't climb like a parrot you need to make sure they're where he can easily reach them. My guys like bells, plastic parts they can play with, strings to tug on - stuff like that. Wicker balls are a hit with my squad. I would move food dishes up in the cage (I personally would also switch these out with bowls that have little perches attached to them to make it a little easier for the bird) and I keep them spread out. So food dish at one end of the cage, water dish at the other. I'd move the nest into a corner (or even take it out altogether - no use getting him nesty) and put more branches along that side and those corners (my guys love corner perches btw). Try to simulate a tree when setting up your cage, as much as possible. I get full little trees or minimally trimmed branches for my guys and they love hopping back and forth from the bouncy thin twigs to sturdier ones - it's a game all in itself; natures got it best. ;) It's nice to leave space at the bottom so Olly can fly a little bit but doves are fantastic "hoppers" so you can fill up the higher space with more branches. I think he'd enjoy a swing or two as well (best if they aren't plastic or dowel wood though. I make my own swings with a simple natural branch, tied to the ceiling of the cage with simple ropes)!
Platforms are great and I like to turn mine into foraging opportunities. Or even if you don't want food there, a couple simple objects; small toys, stringy things, wicker balls etc will make it a really fun place for Olly to hang out. If you do like the idea of foraging then sprinkling a couple seeds and/or pellets mixed in with pieces of paper and other little toys will provide hours of entertainment for Olly. There's nothing quite like watching a bird do exactly what it was meant to do out in the wild - it's very cool.

Veggies are great for doves and all of mine love em (except for my newest; she's a work in progress). Mine, particularly Damien and the other babies I raised, prefer it hand chopped into little cubes. Cucumber is a huge hit, as well as the seeds off of broccoli heads, zucchini, bell pepper, leafy greens like kale, etc. Veggies also are best offered as a foraging opportunity - I never give them their chop in bowls. Rather they get it in large plates at the bottom of their cages so they can walk all over and pick out what they want. They're much more interested this way.

Treats: Damien and Pepsi love millet. Malcolm will do anything for a sunflower seed. Daisy is kinda meh about everything lol. Try different things and you'll fast find something Olly loves. Damien was target trained using cucumber pieces - go figure :D

Regarding his seeming quiet - how long have you had him? Pepsi took a couple days (of sitting way up high and just watching over everyone) before she dared come down and explore. Now she's getting interested in the play cage where they get to do a ton of foraging, and she also explores the floor a bit. Not as much as Damien though. He spends hours on the floor entertaining himself with looking for stuff
to play with and coo at. You do have to be very careful with letting birds play on the floor but I like to let the doves do it since it's a very natural thing for them and they enjoy it immensely. Give him some freedom to check out things at his own pace and make things available that he might enjoy and before too long you'll have an energetic, playful happy bird.

Now, I would really recommend taking the mirror from him. You see him already getting attached to it. It might seem mean because he's lonely and why take the one thing that's giving him companionship, but. This mirror is giving him nothing. It's keeping him sitting in the same spot all day. If you take it away he will instead start looking for companionship and entertainment elsewhere, in things and people that actually interact with him and give him good things. You, your other birds, his toys - all of these will give him entertainment and happiness. He's kinda getting into a depressed state there (I've seen the same in my birds at times and I liken it to kids getting too lost in video games and losing touch with the actual world, equaling depression/unhappiness. My $0.2)

Also, doves don't usually like head rubs and petting the way other birds do. My Damien accepts light scritches sometimes when he's moulting but again it's a little different with him because he grew up with me and trusts me/is bonded to me completely. I get the feeling that with doves mutual preening is more of a mate-specific thing than in some other birds which is why even with Damien I try not to do it too often.

Also, a very important note - Olly is gorgeous!!!!! Could pass as my Pepsi's twin :xflove:

This is a whole lot of writing. I apologize for that and I really hope some of it is helpful. Again, congratulations. I'm certain you will love dove parent-ship! :)

:welcomeavenue:

shyanashay

Moving in
Real Name
Ana
Welcome and congratulations on your new bird! Doves are wonderful; I'm sure you will absolutely fall in love with Olly!

Re: the taming. I get where you're coming from. I feel like doves have a very different way of settling in and befriending humans than other birds. The ones I have never had a "crazy flying 'I think you're gonna eat me" stage the way some parrots do. They accept being around you but like you've noticed they don't seem to enjoy it, and given the option they usually stay away (and it's best to let them stay away - they need that time to puzzle through the situation and figure out if you're safe or not). I would say give it time. Only one of my doves is a cuddly fellow (to be fair two of the others are a happily bonded pair and the third is new to the flock) and I raised him from a baby so that's different. My gameplan with my new girl, Pepsi, is not to push it and just give her a chance to come around to trust me. She's chill around people - you can easily grab her if you need to - but what I'd really like is for her to want to be around me, and that only comes through trust and eventually seeing me as a friend. So I go her pace and let her do her thing. Recently she's started landing on me and hopping onto my arm when I'm sitting at my laptop, and today she let me step her up for the very first time. Small steps show that she's beginning to feel more at ease.

The cage you have for Olly is great! It's set up pretty well too, though I do think you could still improve it to make it more enjoyable for your dove. As you've found, doves do like perching so good perches are a must. Branches of different thicknesses are great. I do like the toys you have there for him but do remember that since he can't climb like a parrot you need to make sure they're where he can easily reach them. My guys like bells, plastic parts they can play with, strings to tug on - stuff like that. Wicker balls are a hit with my squad. I would move food dishes up in the cage (I personally would also switch these out with bowls that have little perches attached to them to make it a little easier for the bird) and I keep them spread out. So food dish at one end of the cage, water dish at the other. I'd move the nest into a corner (or even take it out altogether - no use getting him nesty) and put more branches along that side and those corners (my guys love corner perches btw). Try to simulate a tree when setting up your cage, as much as possible. I get full little trees or minimally trimmed branches for my guys and they love hopping back and forth from the bouncy thin twigs to sturdier ones - it's a game all in itself; natures got it best. ;) It's nice to leave space at the bottom so Olly can fly a little bit but doves are fantastic "hoppers" so you can fill up the higher space with more branches. I think he'd enjoy a swing or two as well (best if they aren't plastic or dowel wood though. I make my own swings with a simple natural branch, tied to the ceiling of the cage with simple ropes)!
Platforms are great and I like to turn mine into foraging opportunities. Or even if you don't want food there, a couple simple objects; small toys, stringy things, wicker balls etc will make it a really fun place for Olly to hang out. If you do like the idea of foraging then sprinkling a couple seeds and/or pellets mixed in with pieces of paper and other little toys will provide hours of entertainment for Olly. There's nothing quite like watching a bird do exactly what it was meant to do out in the wild - it's very cool.

Veggies are great for doves and all of mine love em (except for my newest; she's a work in progress). Mine, particularly Damien and the other babies I raised, prefer it hand chopped into little cubes. Cucumber is a huge hit, as well as the seeds off of broccoli heads, zucchini, bell pepper, leafy greens like kale, etc. Veggies also are best offered as a foraging opportunity - I never give them their chop in bowls. Rather they get it in large plates at the bottom of their cages so they can walk all over and pick out what they want. They're much more interested this way.

Treats: Damien and Pepsi love millet. Malcolm will do anything for a sunflower seed. Daisy is kinda meh about everything lol. Try different things and you'll fast find something Olly loves. Damien was target trained using cucumber pieces - go figure :D

Regarding his seeming quiet - how long have you had him? Pepsi took a couple days (of sitting way up high and just watching over everyone) before she dared come down and explore. Now she's getting interested in the play cage where they get to do a ton of foraging, and she also explores the floor a bit. Not as much as Damien though. He spends hours on the floor entertaining himself with looking for stuff
to play with and coo at. You do have to be very careful with letting birds play on the floor but I like to let the doves do it since it's a very natural thing for them and they enjoy it immensely. Give him some freedom to check out things at his own pace and make things available that he might enjoy and before too long you'll have an energetic, playful happy bird.

Now, I would really recommend taking the mirror from him. You see him already getting attached to it. It might seem mean because he's lonely and why take the one thing that's giving him companionship, but. This mirror is giving him nothing. It's keeping him sitting in the same spot all day. If you take it away he will instead start looking for companionship and entertainment elsewhere, in things and people that actually interact with him and give him good things. You, your other birds, his toys - all of these will give him entertainment and happiness. He's kinda getting into a depressed state there (I've seen the same in my birds at times and I liken it to kids getting too lost in video games and losing touch with the actual world, equaling depression/unhappiness. My $0.2)

Also, doves don't usually like head rubs and petting the way other birds do. My Damien accepts light scritches sometimes when he's moulting but again it's a little different with him because he grew up with me and trusts me/is bonded to me completely. I get the feeling that with doves mutual preening is more of a mate-specific thing than in some other birds which is why even with Damien I try not to do it too often.

Also, a very important note - Olly is gorgeous!!!!! Could pass as my Pepsi's twin :xflove:

This is a whole lot of writing. I apologize for that and I really hope some of it is helpful. Again, congratulations. I'm certain you will love dove parent-ship! :)

:welcomeavenue:

Wow this was very helpful! I very much appreciate all of the help! And I’m falling in love with him already.

Aww, your relationship Pepsi is adorable! And I love that name, so cute. That’s what I’d like to have with Olly! I get the tolerating but not wanting to be around you thing. I’ll keep working with him! Sometimes I’ll sing to him and he’ll coo a couple times.

The branches I have are all pretty thick, but not the exact same thickness. Since their toes are so much longer than a cockatiel or budgie, I thought thicker was better. I’ll get a wider variety! I put his bells, disco ball, and beaded mirror above the platform I have in the cage, but he doesn’t go on the platform. (Which is odd because everyone told me that they like the floor and they prefer platforms over perches??) So I’ll probably end up removing the platform and getting more perches. I had food bins with perches but he didn’t like them. I’ll try moving the bowls up higher and see how he does! I’ll separate them too, probably would be best because he gets seeds in his water sometimes! I got the nest because people told me they love to nest, but so far he hasn’t seem interested. His previous owner told me he liked nesting. He does have a swing! I don’t think he likes them though. I’ll definitely take the foraging platform into mind!

I’ll keep working with Olly on the veggies!

I got Olly December 23rd. He’s not 100% silent. He coos a couple times most mornings. And maybe one coo throughout the day sometimes. If I’m singing he’ll coo sometimes.

He never looks in the mirror, he just lays across it and naps. He has never cooed at himself in the mirror either. I would feel guilty taking it away.. But if it’s what’s best.. Poor guy. Actual physical interaction will be better for him anyway. Now that I think about it, he’s been more distant since he started sitting on the mirror! Oops haha.

Totally get the preening thing! I know doves are completely different from parrots.

And thank you so much! I love him, and he’s basically my never melting giant fluffy snowball!

No worries! I love long responses, a lot to take in but I appreciate the help!

If you wouldn’t mind, could you share some pics of your cage setup and the foraging platforms and toys?

Thanks so much for the help!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Olly is gorgeous! I know nothing really about doves except that I love them, and pigeons too! :heart:

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Wow this was very helpful! I very much appreciate all of the help! And I’m falling in love with him already.

Aww, your relationship Pepsi is adorable! And I love that name, so cute. That’s what I’d like to have with Olly! I get the tolerating but not wanting to be around you thing. I’ll keep working with him! Sometimes I’ll sing to him and he’ll coo a couple times.

The branches I have are all pretty thick, but not the exact same thickness. Since their toes are so much longer than a cockatiel or budgie, I thought thicker was better. I’ll get a wider variety! I put his bells, disco ball, and beaded mirror above the platform I have in the cage, but he doesn’t go on the platform. (Which is odd because everyone told me that they like the floor and they prefer platforms over perches??) So I’ll probably end up removing the platform and getting more perches. I had food bins with perches but he didn’t like them. I’ll try moving the bowls up higher and see how he does! I’ll separate them too, probably would be best because he gets seeds in his water sometimes! I got the nest because people told me they love to nest, but so far he hasn’t seem interested. His previous owner told me he liked nesting. He does have a swing! I don’t think he likes them though. I’ll definitely take the foraging platform into mind!

Nesting - yes he'll enjoy nesting but when you think about it why stimulate him to nest needlessly. Just like any other birds - of course they "enjoy" nesting, it's natural instincts, but you don't want to stimulate nesting behaviour unless you actually want and plan on having babies. And if he does get nesty you'll find him acting crabby, attached to his nest, hormonal, and eventually frustrated. He'd get nesty without any end result like having babies would be. So I really wouldn't recommend keeping the nest.
Platforms: it's true doves do like platforms but they do need interesting stuff on em to keep them occupied. Foraging options or a couple different toys they can pick up and move around are good. Also I put half a log on some of my platforms - they quite enjoy chilling on those. Looking at the platform in your picture, it looks rather boring and also the footing is probably weird. You can remedy that by just putting stuff on it like paper, straw. Then just sprinkle some seeds (they're gonna have to be visible and easy to find until Olly gets the hang of it) add some of the toys that are currently hanging on the side of the cage and you might just have an interested bird. Once his mirror perch is gone he's gonna have to find other things to do so if you have some entertaining options available that's great. You say he doesn't play with any of his toys but none of them look like they're in his reach. Since he can't climb the toys all need to be really close to where he's perching.
I use these:
1578333386634.png
My birds like them more than others.
How large is the swing? They like bigger swings with more of a sweeping slow motion. The ones my guys have have room enough for at least two or three birds on each swing and they like the motion.

I’ll keep working with Olly on the veggies!

:tup:

I got Olly December 23rd. He’s not 100% silent. He coos a couple times most mornings. And maybe one coo throughout the day sometimes. If I’m singing he’ll coo sometimes.

That's great! Talking and singing to em is awesome. I have really long animated conversations with Pepsi and she acts really interested too.

He never looks in the mirror, he just lays across it and naps. He has never cooed at himself in the mirror either. I would feel guilty taking it away.. But if it’s what’s best.. Poor guy. Actual physical interaction will be better for him anyway. Now that I think about it, he’s been more distant since he started sitting on the mirror! Oops haha.

Ya doesn't sound too healthy for him. Damien had a really little mirror in one of his toys at some point and he didn't coo at his reflection either - he just sat right in front of it quietly for hours. Took me a while to realize the problem and when I took it away he was back to his normal energetic self.

Totally get the preening thing! I know doves are completely different from parrots.

And thank you so much! I love him, and he’s basically my never melting giant fluffy snowball!

:heart:

No worries! I love long responses, a lot to take in but I appreciate the help!

If you wouldn’t mind, could you share some pics of your cage setup and the foraging platforms and toys?

Thanks so much for the help!
I just wrote my responses right in the quote in blue. I'll try to get pics of some setups for you!

shyanashay

Moving in
Real Name
Ana
I just wrote my responses right in the quote in blue. I'll try to get pics of some setups for you!
Okay, that makes sense! I’ll take out his nest.

I have a little colorful ball with a bell in it for him. It’s currently on the cage floor, I’ll move it up to his platform. I added the wooden shelf, it’s smaller than I thought it’d be when I ordered it. I have some of those crinkled paper things you’d find in an Easter basket, I could use those! I have timothy hay but that just made a big mess. Actually, I don’t think either of those are gonna work. It just makes a big mess and all the paper or hay will probably just fall off whenever he flaps his wings. I feel like even in the slim chance he would go to the platform, when he walks around wouldn’t everything just fall off? And the seeds just fall through to the platform floor. :/ Maybe I’ll get him a basket or something. I dunno. We’ll see how this goes.
83BD42EA-0BDD-42A8-B226-A5E3A053E5C5.jpeg

I moved his cage and toys around a bit:
293A515D-E18F-443D-8123-85AC5F126FE0.jpeg

Oooh that’s the one I used! He didn’t like to use the perch. I had them up higher when I first got him, but he never went to them so I tried moving them closer to the floor and then he ate. But he got off the food bowls’ perch and preferred to stand on the floor and eat from the side. It’s even the large size bins. His swing is a good size for one dove. He swung on it for an hour when I put him on it.

Oh wow! Thanks for telling me. Woulda taken me forever to realize the mirror was the culprit for his anti social behavior! Bahaha.
99A2787F-704F-4943-90BF-9D9C163BE182.jpeg
Olly and I appreciate the help!

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
That looks a lot better already! My birds would go crazy for that platform! :D Olly's still new to the concept of foraging though so I would maybe take some of the paper off again. Too much will overwhelm him a bit.

Looking at the toys - the toy with three bells at the back of the cage, as well as the disco ball and the star, I would move down a couple inches to make playing with them easier for Olly.

shyanashay

Moving in
Real Name
Ana
That looks a lot better already! My birds would go crazy for that platform! :D Olly's still new to the concept of foraging though so I would maybe take some of the paper off again. Too much will overwhelm him a bit.

Looking at the toys - the toy with three bells at the back of the cage, as well as the disco ball and the star, I would move down a couple inches to make playing with them easier for Olly.
Okay haha. I’ll take some of the paper off. As for the disco and the star, they hang better when they’re hung from the cage top so I’ll raise the shelf up a bit! The bell toy if I lower it to the other bar, then it dangles below the branch. Haha I’ll raise that one too.
1D28B481-A0EB-460B-9348-4C72EDA295E1.jpeg 0224803F-29E8-4D28-B955-E79165B6D33E.jpeg

shyanashay

Moving in
Real Name
Ana

Yeeeeah I don’t see how this will work lol! He was on a branch and he flew off and all the seeds and papers flew out everywhere. He hasn’t touched it either. I don’t think he likes anything. He only likes to perch or sleep. :(
BE36EC17-49AF-462A-BD74-A59083753E31.jpeg

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Aww. That's epic though - my Damien does things liek that on purpose. He'll hover over paper and watch it fly everywhere lol. It could be that all the colourful new stuff has him a little worried but if you leave it I bet he'll get curious after a while! There are some seeds out in the open so I bet he'll try it still.
Don't get discouraged! You'll find somehting he likes, I'm sure. If you make sure he has the opportunity to be outside at least a large part of the day he will also get better at finding things he likes on his own outside of his cage. If you don't see improvement in the next couple months it might be good to start thinking about getting him a friend. Doves, mroe than other birds I think, really do well from having a friend of their own kind. Maybe it isn't crucial but you can always think about that if he doesn't seem to be happy on the long run.
But keep trying different things. Different perches, different toys, etc. You'll find something he likes!
Also most of my doves' toys do hang below the perches. They're more interested in playing this way.

shyanashay

Moving in
Real Name
Ana
Aww. That's epic though - my Damien does things liek that on purpose. He'll hover over paper and watch it fly everywhere lol. It could be that all the colourful new stuff has him a little worried but if you leave it I bet he'll get curious after a while! There are some seeds out in the open so I bet he'll try it still.
Don't get discouraged! You'll find somehting he likes, I'm sure. If you make sure he has the opportunity to be outside at least a large part of the day he will also get better at finding things he likes on his own outside of his cage. If you don't see improvement in the next couple months it might be good to start thinking about getting him a friend. Doves, mroe than other birds I think, really do well from having a friend of their own kind. Maybe it isn't crucial but you can always think about that if he doesn't seem to be happy on the long run.
But keep trying different things. Different perches, different toys, etc. You'll find something he likes!
Also most of my doves' toys do hang below the perches. They're more interested in playing this way.
I dunno. I hope it gets better. He just sits on his perch and when he’s out of his cage he just. Sits. Sometimes he’ll fly back to his cage. I don’t think I’d be able to get another dove because that cage definitely isn’t fit for two and I don’t have the money to get another cage. I’ll keep working with him though.

jahpan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
View attachment 324926
This is Olly!! He is a five year old Ringneck Dove. I am Olly’s third and final home. I adopted him from a woman off of Craigslist who adopted him from a magician! Before his previous owner, Olly had never really been socialized by the magician unless he was taken out for practice or performances. And then the magician retired and rehomed Olly to the lady I got him from. He has also not been socialized around other birds before he came to me, but he’s doing very well with my parrots!
View attachment 324927
I would say Olly is definitely domesticated but I wouldn’t necessarily say he’s 100% tame. I’ve read that it takes doves time to warm up to new people which is understandable! I just feel like Olly gets less tame each day. He isn’t the biggest fan of perching. Or being pet. And he definitely doesn’t enjoy head rubs or neck rubs. He will eat millet when I hold it up to him, and he will perch on my hand after a lot of reluctance. When I first got him, he could be content laying near me on my bed, but now he flies off to his cage. How can I get him to be more comfortable with me? I see a lot of people have their doves snuggle up next to them and I’d love reach that level of trust with Olly!
View attachment 324928
This is Olly’s cage I got him. I would have more shelves but he’s only interested in his mirror and the branches. I just feel like his cage isn’t very homey and I’m not sure what I can do to make it more comfortable. Any suggestions? I’ve though about getting him a basket but I don’t think he’d be interested.
- How can I bond with Olly when he doesn’t really want to be handled?
- How is his cage setup? Should I get different toys? A basket?
- Do doves enjoy vegetables? How should I offer them? Chopped? Mixed with seed?
- Olly doesn’t eat much. Just once in the morning. Is that normal?
- Do doves enjoy sprouted seeds?
- Other than millet, what are some of their favorite treats?
- When he’s out of his cage, he just likes to stay in one spot. He doesn’t walk around or explore, and he isn’t interested or curious about anything. And he sits on his mirror perch all day unless he flies down to take a bath or eat or drink. Is all this normal?

Thanks in advance!
What kind of food do you feed your dove? I just got mine today hes a white albino ringneck, 3 yrs old and i am trying to setup his cage and also look into different foods. Is that like pellets?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
What kind of food do you feed your dove? I just got mine today hes a white albino ringneck, 3 yrs old and i am trying to setup his cage and also look into different foods. Is that like pellets?
This member has not logged in in the past six months so you may or may not receive a response. I would recommend that you start your own thread to ask your questions.