• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My First Conure!

Fawnia

Meeting neighbors
Well... after about two months of research and fighting myself over whether I should I get a GCC or Lovebird, I was still conflicted. However, someone a few days ago offered a baby (4 months) handfed green cheek to me for 180$. I thought this was a very good deal compared to the 350 the local pet store is charging for them! So I picked them up today haha. Do you think I got a good deal?

Anyways, on to the important stuff. Even though I researched all the requirements and stuff for GCC's I still feel a bit nervous haha.

Can you guys help me answer these questions?

1. Even though he is handfed, how long do you think I should wait before I handle him. I was planning on giving him all night alone (I'm not even going to sleep in my room!), then the next day not handle him, but rather sit by his cage for a few hours. Then on the third day, I'll finally try to handle him. Is this a good approach?

2. My biggest worry about my room is this thing.

I have one of these plug-in air fresheners in my room to combat the odor of my rabbit's litter box. Is this harmful for my bird? If so, I'll remove it immediately. If so, any ideas for ways to combat odor without an air freshener?

3. The breeder fed him Pellets mixed with seed. So likewise, I put pellet mixed with seed in his cage. Hahahaha the first thing he did when I put him in his cage was eat the food xD. THat is a good sign I hope!
Anyways, I was wondering if I should convert him to an all pellet (with veggies and fruit) diet, or should I give him seed+pellets (with a side of fruit/veg).

-----

Those are my three biggest questions for now. I am going to wait one week before I name him, and I'll send photos as soon as he's comfortable around me.

Thanks for all your help guys! I am a bit nervous, even though I have raised birds before, but I hope he lives the full 30 years!

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Any scented sprays or oils, candles are a no, no! As for handling, leave it up to him/her! They will let you know! :) Pilo has a mix of all sorts of food and loves all of it! I feel that having no variety is more of an issue than anything else! As far as value for money... the initial purchase price is only a drop in the bucket as far as on going costs!

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Agree with Lodah...no scented sprays, no candles. Let him guide you as to when he is ready to be handled. It may be one day or it could be one week. Depends on the bird. Post some photos when you get a chance.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
BTW, what type of cookware do you have? Bird-Safe Cookware: Is There A Killer In Your Kitchen?
If there is a self-cleaning oven in the home, do NOT use the self-cleaning function. Most household cleaners need to be tossed, too.
Best to use things such as vinegar diluted with water for cleaning.

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
:yah:Congratulations! Just get an HEPA air cleaner that will help with smells. Get rid of the plug in air freshener right away. Yes you got a great deal. Let him tell you if he wants to come out. Both my handheld babies wanted out and love the first day, just go slow and offer your hand...he may want some reassurance being in a new place. If he backs up just slowly pull back. Good luck.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
That's cheap for a GCC!
Ditch the scents!
I usually give them a night. It really depends on how much handling and training he's had. @d_msparkles
Conures do best on a mix of seeds and pellets.
:welcomeflag:pictures are the best!

Fawnia

Meeting neighbors
BTW, what type of cookware do you have? Bird-Safe Cookware: Is There A Killer In Your Kitchen?
If there is a self-cleaning oven in the home, do NOT use the self-cleaning function. Most household cleaners need to be tossed, too.
Best to use things such as vinegar diluted with water for cleaning.
Yes, I am aware of Telfon. My parents use teflon, and I don't think I'll be able to change their minds about not using it... So whenever my parents cook, I will make sure the bird is in my room which is away from the kitchen with the door closed.

When I graduate college and move out this fall, I'll be sure not to use any bad cookware wherever I end up living.

Fawnia

Meeting neighbors
Thanks guys for the advice on air fresheners!!!

I removed it right away!!!!!!

I'll look into a HEPA air cleaner ^^

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, I am aware of Telfon. My parents use teflon, and I don't think I'll be able to change their minds about not using it... So whenever my parents cook, I will make sure the bird is in my room which is away from the kitchen with the door closed.

When I graduate college and move out this fall, I'll be sure not to use any bad cookware wherever I end up living.
Show them some articles about teflon and birds. There are plenty of those available on the net. Maybe they will be willing to change. I had to leave my birds with my mom when I had new carpeting installed and also when I went on a trip and she went out and bought a few non-teflon pots and pans to use while they stayed with her. It was very nice of her to do that.

Last edited:

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Conures do best on a mix of seeds and pellets.
I have only had two birds, but in both cases, once the birds tasted seeds, it was all that they would eat. I am starting to think that I would be very hesitant to give a new baby bird any seeds. It's like giving them cocain.

I now have a green cheek conure that only eats seeds. Very bad, but I have been completely unable to get her to eat anything else except a little apple. I have tried all the tricks. BE CAREFUL WITH THE SEEDS!!!!!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Certain seeds and nuts are known as "bird candy." Sunflower seeds and millet should only be treat food. Peanuts, even if roasted, CAN be deadly. Corn is high sugar. A slow switch to Nutriberries is often a good choice for seed addicts.

Personally, for my conures present and past, a mix of Higgins Mayan (safflower- based) and either ZuPreem Naturals or Harrison's High Potency Fine works. Many members feed strictly Nutriberries to their GCCs with success.

@Mizzely
@d_msparkles
@Coldbreeze

Fawnia

Meeting neighbors
Hello Everyone! It's now day 2 of owning my conure, and I have a new set of Questions!

1. He has warmed up to me really fast, and when I am in my room he always wants to come out and play. I love that now, but I am nervous he'll be sad when schools starts back up in January. What do you recommend I do when I am gone? I have a pair of Zebra finches in my room too, and they are always talking. Is that enough company for him, or should I play a radio too?

2. Well, he wouldn't be a baby green cheek conure without giving me lots of "love bites" hahha. He really likes biting me currently, what should I do? And I definitely know its not aggression, because he always wants to be on me. I've read many methods online, but what's your guys' method for making GCC's less nippy? I don't want to reinforce it now, then later in life he is still nipping for fun.

3. What do you guys think of my cage setup. I am going to the craft store this weekend to make more foraging toys, but do you think it looks suitable for healthy living?

Also, I took lots of pictures!

Attachments

Fawnia

Meeting neighbors
Oh and here is a funny photo.

I tried taking a photo of him on my hand, but he crawled on top of my phone istead. That blur is his tail XD

Fawnia

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for everyone's advice on seeds. I think I'm going to give him only pellets now. I will put the seeds in his foraging toys only. ^^

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Certain seeds and nuts are known as "bird candy." Sunflower seeds and millet should only be treat food. Peanuts, even if roasted, CAN be deadly. Corn is high sugar. A slow switch to Nutriberries is often a good choice for seed addicts.

Personally, for my conures present and past, a mix of Higgins Mayan (safflower- based) and either ZuPreem Naturals or Harrison's High Potency Fine works. Many members feed strictly Nutriberries to their GCCs with success.

@Mizzely
@d_msparkles
@Coldbreeze
Yes, my GCC eats Nutra-berries and Avi-cakes, but in both cases, it appears that she only eats the seeds in each and discards the rest. Her bowl always has either Zupreem Naturals and/or Harrison's High Potency in it, though she never seems to touch either. I often wonder what her diet would be like today had she never been offered the opportunity to try seeds and had been introduced to lots of fruits/veggies at a young age.

Coldbreeze

Real Name
Alana
GCC are known to be nippy. I have a Yellow Side and she started off nippy and while she isnt as bad a month ago she still nips me from time to time.

I feed my GCC pellets in her cage and fresh veggies with seeds and some fruit. It's really about finding what they like. It took a while for Zazu to even touch a vegetable. She mainly loved fruits but now she seems to eat anything I give her. I give her several nutriberries and she makes a big ol' mess with them. Hehe.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
That's proves that :lol:The kennel/pet store "inherited" a Grey that only eats sunflower seeds! One GCC moved in as a chick and didn't know what chop or fresh produce was. It took about 3 mos to get her off strictly seeds! I don't do Avicakes at all! I guess each person is different, too.:hehe: