• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My First CBC

PreciousAw

Checking out the neighborhood
I got my first Crimson Belly today! His name is Loki. He is a little over 2 months old. I remember reading somewhere that CBCs tend to be flighty in the beginning. Anyone have any advice on this or any other insider info on raising my beautiful boy?

Thanks!

870F125F-8524-40C0-900B-4162D64DCA75.jpeg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I got my first Crimson Belly today! His name is Loki. He is a little over 2 months old. I remember reading somewhere that CBCs tend to be flighty in the beginning. Anyone have any advice on this or any other insider info on raising my beautiful boy?

Thanks!

View attachment 413167
Oh he's absolutely gorgeous and I love his name! My CBC that I got at 5 months old wasn't flighty at all from moment 1 all he wanted to do was snuggle and cuddle.
The biggest advice I can give from having multiple conures over the years is make sure they can entertain themselves with toys and they understand what alone time in the cage is and get them used to it so they don't throw screaming tantrums when they have to be caged and alone.
From moment one of bringing my CBC home he already had a bad screaming problem that just got progressively worse no matter what I did. I taught him to play with and love toys and he would destroy them all and swing from them like a wild man. I'd spend as much time as i could with him within reason and appropriateness but it was never enough. The moment I would leave the room he would scream endlessly he just couldn't handle being alone. It was quite sad but also unrealistic and unhealthy to never be able to be away from him. At 1 point he screamed for 4 hours straight without stopping at all it was absolutely awful ,I tried for months to make it work I loved him with all my heart and he was a 12 year long dream I'd never thought would happen but my dream turned into a nightmare. The final straw came when he started screaming until 10 pm and gave me my first ever panic attack. I ended up sadly having to rehome him and that absolutely shattered me and I'm still not over it and never will be.
That's not to say you'll have any of the issues I did with Tobias since he was definitely an anomaly compared to what I'd experienced with my previous Conures I'd had in 15 years.
But I seriously really recommend you get him used to playing alone and spending time alone in his cage and being comfortable and able to entertain himself.
He's absolutely stunning and congratulations on welcoming him into your life. I look forward to hearing more about him and seeing pics :heart:

PreciousAw

Checking out the neighborhood
Oh he's absolutely gorgeous and I love his name! My CBC that I got at 5 months old wasn't flighty at all from moment 1 all he wanted to do was snuggle and cuddle.
The biggest advice I can give from having multiple conures over the years is make sure they can entertain themselves with toys and they understand what alone time in the cage is and get them used to it so they don't throw screaming tantrums when they have to be caged and alone.
From moment one of bringing my CBC home he already had a bad screaming problem that just got progressively worse no matter what I did. I taught him to play with and love toys and he would destroy them all and swing from them like a wild man. I'd spend as much time as i could with him within reason and appropriateness but it was never enough. The moment I would leave the room he would scream endlessly he just couldn't handle being alone. It was quite sad but also unrealistic and unhealthy to never be able to be away from him. At 1 point he screamed for 4 hours straight without stopping at all it was absolutely awful ,I tried for months to make it work I loved him with all my heart and he was a 12 year long dream I'd never thought would happen but my dream turned into a nightmare. The final straw came when he started screaming until 10 pm and gave me my first ever panic attack. I ended up sadly having to rehome him and that absolutely shattered me and I'm still not over it and never will be.
That's not to say you'll have any of the issues I did with Tobias since he was definitely an anomaly compared to what I'd experienced with my previous Conures I'd had in 15 years.
But I seriously really recommend you get him used to playing alone and spending time alone in his cage and being comfortable and able to entertain himself.
He's absolutely stunning and congratulations on welcoming him into your life. I look forward to hearing more about him and seeing pics :heart:
Thanks!

Ohh he has lots of toys and has explored and chewed on them all today. I had his older sister out (6 month old high red GCC). And he wanted to come out and play….which I count as a victory. Then, Right before bed time he was sitting on the perch grinding his beak so another victory! The breeder said he wasn’t flighty on her so hoping it is just first day jitters (took me 30 mins to get him from carrier to cage hahahaha). Fingers crossed for some alone time tomorrow.