• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures My first budgie chick!

Kathy Cous

Moving in
I have had a pair of budgies for several years and just. as the pandemic started they mated and the hen laid 9 eggs. Two hatched on 6/15 and one.died. The lone chick is doing very well. But last week the parents started fighting. They both had nips and there was blood drawn on the females foot. I separated them and.put the male in a separate cage. Now its been a week so I tried to put him back with the hen and chick. He tried to go down to the cage floor as the chick wanted to be fed but the hen fought him off every time.
I had read that at 3 weeks the male will feed the chicks so I took out the hen and left him with the chick. Hes fed it a few times but the chick seems wary and the.male doesnt seem as enthusiastic as the hen.was.regarding feeding. Shpuld I remove the male again and put the female back with the chick? I dont want.to keep this transfering nack and foth going!
Should I start hand feeding the chick? I hold him for a few minutes every day to get him used to me.
I live in.San.Antonio by the way. Ive had two other budgies each lived for 10 + years. I also had a cockatiel I adored.
Thanks for any advice!!

QuakerCraz

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
I'd just leave the hen in with the chick and keep the male separated entirely. It seems the hen has become highly territorial and protective of the chick and the cage they are in and she sees the male as a threat.

Kathy Cous

Moving in
I'd just leave the hen in with the chick and keep the male separated entirely. It seems the hen has become highly territorial and protective of the chick and the cage they are in and she sees the male as a threat.
Thank you! I will do that. Makes sense.