• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My first bird! (Java Sparrow)

Peepers

Strolling the yard
Hello everyone! I am new to the forum. I just got my first bird, a 9-week-old Java Finch, on Saturday. For his/her cage, I got a ladder, a couple of perches, a swing, and a hanging toy that has paper ribbons. His cage still looks pretty empty. I'm going to get him a boing, but was wondering what other toys Javas like?

He was hand-fed but doesn't seem very tame. I hope he will eventually come to my hand. I know I have to be patient!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
:welcomeavenue: :greet15:

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
welcome!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
It really sounds like you’ve got the toys covered. Maybe a container of paper shreds, and some natural raffia. I tie the raffia in bundles around the cage or string them in a long strip using paper rope.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:mtyu: Welcome!

Is your bird called Peepers? That's a cute name!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hello1:and Welcome!

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
Petco has these timothy hay twists for guinea pigs that I've found our cockatiels like a lot. I know the finches at my old pet store job used to enjoy hay as well. You can price match the pack of five of them for about $2, I think its a pretty good deal for a fun shredding toy. I like to thread them through the cage bars, but I'm sure they could be strung up with a kabob or paper rope if you like.

Oxbow Timothy Twists

UrbanSylvanus

Strolling the yard
Hey, welcome to the forum! (also henlo I was summoned)

It's nice to see that we have another Java finch owner joining us, I almost felt like I was the only one :hehe:

The toys sound like they're enough, personally my own Java (almost 2, female) probably prefers to have space to flit around rather than have toys crowding her.

Also I felt like I should ask, since you didn't mention it, do you have a way to keep them nice and toasty? Javas are originally from the v tropical Southeast Asia so it's definitely a good idea to either put them in a room that's warm all day or get them a heater.

If you have any other questions, please don't be afraid to @ or DM me!

And finally:
Birb Tax

Attachments

Peepers

Strolling the yard
Hi UrbanSylvanus! Yay! I'm sure I'll have lots of questions! We keep him/her in the living room but I think I'll get a small heater since I don't like heating up the entire house! I should probably get a humidifier too since central heating dries out the air so much.

Do you have any other birds? I always hear that it's best to have more than one Java, but I've heard of people getting another one and they fight all the time and have to be separated. It would be nice to have two but I'm a bit scared!

Peepers was hand-fed but doesn't seem that tame. Any tips on taming him? He (or she, lol) is 9 weeks old.

Thanks!

UrbanSylvanus

Strolling the yard
Hi UrbanSylvanus! Yay! I'm sure I'll have lots of questions! We keep him/her in the living room but I think I'll get a small heater since I don't like heating up the entire house! I should probably get a humidifier too since central heating dries out the air so much.

Do you have any other birds? I always hear that it's best to have more than one Java, but I've heard of people getting another one and they fight all the time and have to be separated. It would be nice to have two but I'm a bit scared!

Peepers was hand-fed but doesn't seem that tame. Any tips on taming him? He (or she, lol) is 9 weeks old.

Thanks!
I can definitely relate to wanting to ask so many questions, my own Java was my first ever bird so I spent the first few months worrying over everything!
The small heater should be enough, there's a tiny one that you hang on the outside of a cage that they sell here in Japan and it's worked for 2 and a half winters so far!

I have 2 Linnies as well, but they don't really interact with my Java. I think she's content with being spoiled rotten by the humans?
That might not be the case for other Javas though, but if you want to get Peepers a buddy you might want to be sure if Peepers is a boy or a girl first, see how he/she's personality is like, and go from there.
In any case it would be safest to keep Javas in separate cages since they're also infamous for being short-tempered and won't back down from fights. I've seen a blogger who has a Java, 2 Linnies, and a cockatiel, and the Java is the one who runs the house :roflmao:
Speaking of gender, if Peepers is around 3 months then if he's a male he should start to be practicing songs right about now. It won't sound exactly like the Java finch songs you find on YouTube but if they start trilling randomly then they're practicing! If it sounds like there's only cheeping even after another month there's a good chance Pepper's a girl.

As for taking, I can't say for sure. Oguro was perching on me by day 2 (see below lol) so I don't have experience with having to have her get used to me. I would suggest you give them time to get used to their cage first though.
I've seen tips where people brought their Java into a smaller room (like the bathroom) and let their Java out there while the owner just chilled and read/played with their phone. Java finches are naturally curious so while they were afraid at first, they would start getting closer to investigate until they eventually stepped up. It might take a couple of weeks and a metric ton of patience though. Maybe put some food in the palm of your hand?

Sorry, this got really long but hope something helped!

Attachments

Peepers

Strolling the yard
Thanks so much, UrbanSylvanus! I think Peepers is female, because she just peeps and doesn't sing. She loves hearing Javas on YouTube and peeps like crazy... but no singing. I was hoping for a male because I heard they are "cuddlier." haha (She's almost 10 weeks old, so maybe there's still a chance?)

Ah, Linnies! I couldn't decide between getting a Java or a Linnie. The enormous droppings they are famous for was kind of a deal-breaker for my husband. lol

I've been hanging out in the bathroom with Peepers for a couple of days and he/she has jumped up on me, and even went on my arm. I've been trying to get her to eat out of my hand, but so far she won't come. I'm hoping for a breakthrough! :)

Thanks so much for all your help! It's greatly appreciated!

Here's a pic from yesterday when Peepers jumped up on my arm. :xflove: (Thanks for the pics you posted of yours. Awww! So cute!)

Attachments

Last edited: