• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My finches want to nest...

Birdyldy79

Meeting neighbors
So my Java Rice Finches are attempting to nest in the tent I gave them a long while back. The finches are about 10 months old at this point, maybe 11. They've been trying to rip up the newspaper from the bottom of the cage and carry it to the overhanging tent I gave them. Now, newspaper isn't a grand idea for a nest but they're doing with what they got. I'm wondering what to do. I don't want them breeding...I know they'll do the deed regardless of what I want. Should I give them an actual nesting box and some sort of nesting materials? I honestly don't know what to do and I'm worried that by not providing them with those they'll get frustrated with it. They're doing fine otherwise, eating all the fruit/veggies I give them, bathing many times a day, cooing and nuzzling each other and the whole lot.

Now if I should be giving them a nesting box any ideas on size/shape and what materials for a nest I should be giving them? I don't want them to be upset/frustrated with anything if I can prevent it.

Jogging around the block
If you don't want them breeding, removing the tent should fix the problem.
Don't give them a nesting box or nesting materials, as that will encourage breeding.

Birdyldy79

Meeting neighbors
If you don't want them breeding, removing the tent should fix the problem.
Don't give them a nesting box or nesting materials, as that will encourage breeding.
So I've removed the tent. I hope it works to discourage their nesting desires.