• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My female has just died after laying an egg

Sallyprinc

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sally Turner
We are new to having canaries however our female had laid an egg yesterday morning and we found her dead a few hours later
Her male companion appears to be looking for her and singing at lot? What would be the next thing for us to do?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’m so sorry. She could have been egg bound, or just too low on resources. Egg laying takes a lot out of them.

If you want to get him another mate, that’s fine. Some people also keep males by themselves. In the future, try to keep them for awhile before breeding- give really good nutrition and treat for mites etc before breeding.

What are you feeding them?

It’s also helpful if he sees the body. I assume he saw her after she died?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
What kind of cage and set up were they living in? Can you post pics?

Sallyprinc

Real Name
Sally Turner
I’m so sorry. She could have been egg bound, or just too low on resources. Egg laying takes a lot out of them.

If you want to get him another mate, that’s fine. Some people also keep males by themselves. In the future, try to keep them for awhile before breeding- give really good nutrition and treat for mites etc before breeding.

What are you feeding them?

It’s also helpful if he sees the body. I assume he saw her after she died?
We didn’t intend on them breeding. We rescued them off someone else. We got correct information from pet shop had 2 beds and correct bedding for her to make her nest. We got some food from pet shop that had nutrients in and occasionally putting in blueberrys.

Sallyprinc

Real Name
Sally Turner
What kind of cage and set up were they living in? Can you post pics?
Hi, we went to pet shop got some information got 2 beds, some bedding and some food with nutrients. We covered them on an evening and uncovered in a morning. We didn’t intend on breeding.

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
Hi, we went to pet shop got some information got 2 beds, some bedding and some food with nutrients. We covered them on an evening and uncovered in a morning. We didn’t intend on breeding.

Yes, but what kind of cage or set up did you have them in?

I'm wondering if it may have been too small to keep a male/female pair in. They need quite a lot of space, and it might be bad advice to go and buy another bird.

Sallyprinc

Real Name
Sally Turner
Yes, but what kind of cage or set up did you have them in?

I'm wondering if it may have been too small to keep a male/female pair in. They need quite a lot of space, and it might be bad advice to go and buy another bird.
Hi, we just going to keep the male. He appears fine. Singing loads. Just going to keep an eye on him. Still learning so hopefully he will be ok.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi, we just going to keep the male. He appears fine. Singing loads. Just going to keep an eye on him. Still learning so hopefully he will be ok.
Well when you’re ready show us your setup and we can help you if anything needs changed. :)