• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My Female cockatiel just suddenly died

RobbinHood

Meeting neighbors
Hello, Today I found my female cockatiel, 4 years old, who up until this point was a seemingly healthy parent dead inside her nesting box, I have no idea what the cause of her death was, she seemed very healthy this morning and there was no blood or signs of broken bones. She had food in her mouth when she died, and was just laying in the nesting box . This was her second clutch, her first clutch she raised very successfully last year, there were three chicks and they were all healthy and well cared for. There are four chicks in the nesting box they are about 3 weeks old now and the male cockatiel is taking care of them now. I was planning on hand feeding the babies, in another week or so. We have another cockatiel and a green cheek conure, as well as 14 baby chicks in the same room. The pet birds have all been with us for over 2 years, and the chicks were hatched here, so no new pets were introduced recently.

We are feeding the parents Quiko egg food, Roudybush high energy breeding pellets, Higgins InTune seed mix, along with fresh veggies, clean water.

Do you all have any idea of what could have caused her unexpected death? I don’t want it to happen again or for my other birds to get sick.

We moved the other two birds into separate rooms away from the babies and their dad.

Thank you.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am so sorry for your loss. :( The only way to know for certain would be to have a necropsy done to determine cause of death.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Who's babies are the 14 chicks? Were any of the 14 chicks the dead birds chicks too?

RobbinHood

Meeting neighbors
The 14 chicks are recently hatched chickens, and no none of them have died.

Thank you Mizzely for your sympathy, I really appreciate it.

RobbinHood

Meeting neighbors
The only thing I found unusual was the fact that she ate alot of her cuddle bone but I have only associated it with the fact that she was replenishing her supply after laying 5 eggs. So I don't know if this is relevant at all.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That is what I was wondering which is why I asked about the 14 chicks.
I was hoping they weren’t hers but if they were I was gonna say I would guess straight up low calcium.
If they were not her chicks but she did have some without sufficient calcium amounts in her diet I guess it still could have been a cause.

Just so you know (as many don’t) cuttlebone is more a grooming item than a supplement. I believe it’s pretty useless in providing our birds with the calcium they need.

I am very sorry to hear you lost your momma bird- that’s gotta be hard seeing her on the nest still being a good mum. :sadhug2:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry for your loss.
:sorrow:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road