• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Family’s green wing is super aggressive to my Dad

amadaun777

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone,

my family has a make greenwing macaw who is about 6-7 years old. We have had him since he was 9 months old. He is actually my father’s bird but I’ve also been one of the primary caregivers since we got him. I moved away for schoolfor several years and recently moved home in September. Since then, I’ve increasingly become the only one who can handle him at all. He is suddenly very aggressive to my dad and he often has to jump out if the way because of his lunges. He is talking about getting rid of him but I don’t think it’s right. I’ve been trying to encourage retraining but dad seems very reluctant. He has never been clicker trained. And I just don’t know what to do. Does anyone have any advice? He used to live Dad best so this is a big change of behavior.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
This is very common with parrots - any parrot - some times when one person has raised them from a chick they want someone other than Mom or Dad as a mate and don't want much to do with Mom or Dad. Your bird is exactly the right age to mature sexually and be looking for a mate. His hormones are raging like a teen age boys and he can't do a thing about it.

While he is in hormonal mood it is best to try not to handle him any more than is necessary. Here is a very good, very accurate article about what is happening with your bird.
Sex And The Psittacine

Read, then come back and ask any questions you or your dad may have.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I agree with Hankmacaw that it's hormones. 6-7 years is prime hormone time, and they can hit hard and fast.
My GW went through them very badly, he was a few years older than your bird, and was very aggressive with me also. They did slowly subside, but it can be tough going for a while.

Have your dad step back for now. Have him just be a comfortable roommate without any expectations of the bird. Tell him to try and not take it personally, instincts are driving your bird, he does not hate your dad.

I'm also guessing you're now the love interest, so be careful if you're dad is near you, as jealousy is quite possible and can heighten aggression.

In time your dad will once again gain a relationship, but for now ask him to remain calm and just relax and let nature take it's course. Mine now almost never goes after me, but for a time he was pretty scary.

Sadly this is the age so many macaws are rehomed. Owners just aren't expecting these drastic changes, it really hurts to see a bird that loved you suddenly change like this. If only they'd be patient and wait it out. Macaws live so long, this is just a blip in that life.

This is the story of what I went through: