• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Experience with Broken Flight Feathers

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Hello everyone! I know I have another thread going on right now but I just had a strong urge to share my story and opinion on broken blood/flight feather.

My budgie Oliver would constantly break his flight feathers that were growing in. I have no idea why they broke but anyways.. they would bleed of course and whenever he would fly it would look worse but it's less blood than it looks.
I know that there are so many articles on how you should immediately take them to the vet to get them pulled but (now I know this may be controversial) I disagree. One broken feather will more than likely not endanger your budgie. All you need is either quick stop powder or cornstarch and the bleeding will stop. Even if you don't have access to those things the bleeding stops fairly quickly.
Even now Oliver breaks this one feather that grows in crooked. He's broken it three times now even though he doesn't do anything dangerous to break it. I no longer freak out whenever I see that he's broken it, I just put some quick stop on it if it's even still bleeding.

If any of y'all think that I'm wrong please tell me! These are just my opinions and I would like to know your opinions too.

clarousel

When I got Preeno, he had two old broken feathers (one each on either wing). They were still blood feathers but the blood had dried up further along the feather (black in the middle). One day, not sure what happened, they both dropped with fresh blood at the growing tip. Preeno had some blood on his wings but I just left it and observed since the bleeding had stopped and he was fine. He had a similar one on his tail which he's been chewing at and it just dropped today, no blood as it's no longer a blood feather.

Does this mean blood feathers can get damaged and continue to grow?

Would love to see what others think too :)

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
The reason a broken blood feather is best removed is because even though the bleeding can be stopped in some cases, it can start bleeding again at any time. Budgies cannot tolerate a lot of blood loss. Shock and death can occur with what seems to be small amounts of blood loss. It is best to take them to a vet and have the feather removed.