• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

my emergency power solution (long story short)

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I've had my house evaluated by experts for solar power and for automatic whole house generator. My house was deemed unfriendly for both.
I have had a pure sine wave gasoline powered generator for a number of years but it is stand-alone and must be started with a pull-cord. I am now unable to pull the cord enough to make it start and rather than invest in an electric start feature decided to look for other innovations. I hate dealing with the noise, gas, oil, fumes, and horrific inconvenience of potentially doing all that under adverse weather and dark conditions.
It is rare than I need emergency power, especially for an extended period, but I will keep the generator since I've already made the investment and ask a neighbor for help in the daylight if it ever comes to that.
But after a lot of research, I have found a solution that makes me happy. This is using a 1800W lithium power source battery. It is portable and can be used inside the house as there are no fumes or gas. I will use it to power a minumum of 5 avitec 45 watt panel heaters (these are still available from a new source) and a dorm-size fridge with bird meds and food if needed.
I purchased at a discount as part of the kickstarter campaign for a new technology. They were looking for $50,000 and got $2.8 million, so I was not the only person impressed.
It will be delivered in December, but they are offering Black Friday week deals to the general public if you are interested, you can go to this site and sign up for email notices on any deals.
Portable Power by EcoFlow | EcoFlow RIVER | EcoFlow DELTA
if you'd like to read all about the unit, here is the info they posted for the kickstarter campaign:
DELTA - The New Standard Of Battery-Powered Generator
I am happy to try to answer any questions, although I have not yet received my unit.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Interesting idea! We have something similar that we take camping that can either jump the car or charge our devices. Definitely not anywhere near this wattage though!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Neat idea. How much was it?

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Interesting idea! We have something similar that we take camping that can either jump the car or charge our devices. Definitely not anywhere near this wattage though!
The smaller, lighter ones are often used for camping. I wanted a larger one that would last longer for home emergencies. It is the highest power storage I've seen on the market and also lighter than some units of less wattage. It sounds like quite a number of folks use units like these to power their RVs and recharge them via solar mats.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Neat idea. How much was it?
It was definitely worth the money for the peace of mind it has given me, being something it is within my abilities to use.

The current sale prices are listed on the first link under the subheadings at the top of the page. The price would depend on which size lithium battery you get (there is one slightly smaller and lighter than what I got which also has the new tech), and what accessories like solar panels and other things you want.
The email I got sounded like there could be additional discounts during the upcoming week and gave the ability to sign up for emails keeping you informed of the extra discounts.
As part of the kickstarter campaign, there were bonus accessories given out free every time a $ goal would be reached and we kept blasting by all the goals. so, it turned out to be an amazing deal for me.
edit to add link again: Portable Power by EcoFlow | EcoFlow RIVER | EcoFlow DELTA