• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My Electus got pinned by 2 rotwiler puppy 7 month and 6 months

Phoenix23

Moving in
Real Name
Emily Lorentzen
Hi HELP MY 1 half year old electus parrot got pinned by my rotwiler puppy she seem fine other that she got some feathers plucked out I showered her after and put some eye wash stuff on plucked area so will she be okay if i don’t take her to vets as there was no punture woun and blood from pluck feather image.jpg image.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello Emily, personally I would still take her for a wellness check just to be sure she is ok.

Phoenix23

Moving in
Real Name
Emily Lorentzen
Hi I was wondering is dog is Dog saliva dangerous beca I washed her after it and I was wondering what I should watch out for if she got hurt

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd definitely take her to the vet just to be on the safe side. Especially if nothing else a Rottie puppy is going to be a lot of weight to be forcefully exerting pressure on her fragile body. So you want to make sure there's no broken bones or internal damage. I hope she will be ok,she's gorgeous.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Veterinarian 100% why wouldn't this be automatic?

As mentioned crushing injury, thats over her skull ...are her eyes normal? Or show signs of traumatic brain injury? There is medication that can help with brain swelling if vet feels thsts a risk

Plus often antibiotics are given to prevent possibility of infection.

Next time your bird may not survive. So id be thinking on every safty practice I could put in place . As well as obedience classes for you and your puppy.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
This parrot is an expensive species as is the Rottweiler pup
So are now just not wanting to spend money on a vet?
If you got attacked by a Rottweiler or any dog you would go to the doctor .
Eyes are always a veterinarian. She could easily have a scratched cornea...or brain injury..or even just suffering in pain.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You need to go to the vet as the bird could have blunt force injuries from the rott's size alone. Also, there could be a laceration under feathers that you can't see. In the future, you're going to have to crate the puppy when your bird is at liberty. The experience was probably reinforcing for him or her. I don't know how it happened, but you have to be proactive and not put your animals in a situation where they make decisions about how to interact. I have a Dogo Argentino, which is a catch dog with prey drive. She's fine when the hyacinth or DYH are out, but I have to crate her when the queens are out: she cannot be trusted if they flutter to the floor.

Phoenix23

Moving in
Real Name
Emily Lorentzen
She seem fine so I will wait to take her as she is acting like her usual self and i talked to my mom and she say to bathe the area and just keep a eye on her and unless we need to take her than I Just taking advice from my family

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I can’t stress enough the importance of early treatment at a qualified avian vet. Birds are experts at hiding their pain and any damage caused by trauma until the final moments. She may seem perfectly fine until she’s not and thirty seconds later she’s gone. I sincerely hope that’s not going to happen, but that’s the nature of birds. They’re prey animals and they hide their pain/trauma for every last second that they can. That’s why everyone is so adamant a vet visit is warranted. The fact that she’s acting fine means nothing concrete in this case medically. Also, if she does have something damaged that needs medication or repair it’s thousands of times easier to do so quickly than wait and have to treat it later, often times at a massively larger expense. I’m only giving you my experience as someone who has taken on parrots that previous owners neglected by saying “he seemed fine” and I’m now years into undoing the damage they did. That said I understand your parents have the say here and I truly hope your bird recovers well and quickly.

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Is this your first parrot? I know when I first got into exotics I had to learn about how different they are from our domestic pets. Your puppy would show you when he is hurt. Your parrot won’t until it could be too late. If this is your first parrot you wouldn’t know that and go by the way the bird is acting and not realize it could easily be hiding injure for self preservation.
I do hope you keep us updated and she is ok.

Phoenix23

Moving in
Real Name
Emily Lorentzen
Yea i will keep you updated and as we don't have a avian vet for 6 hours im hesitate to take her unless so im going to keep a close eye and take her if i have 2

Phoenix23

Moving in
Real Name
Emily Lorentzen
Yea i will keep you updated and as we don't have a avian vet for 6 hours im hesitate to take her unless so im going to keep a close eye and take her if i have 2
For now she is still talking and everything and it been 24 hours how long till she out of the red zone and i can stop worrying about her

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
How is her eye?
Is it swollen?
Is she able to keep it open now?
I know you said you can keep an eye on her, but you can't see internal injuries, and since you're new to birds, you don't really have the experience like a qualifed avian vet to know what to look for.
Better safe than sorry.
To be honest, I would not have hesitated to get her to the vets IMMEDIATELY after this happened.
I really hope your bird survives.

Phoenix23

Moving in
Real Name
Emily Lorentzen
She can keep it open and I have had other parrots before so I’m not that new bird and I checked her over there no blood in poo and she eating so other than sleeping to get better she seem fine and Im just trusting my relationship with my bird to know if something wrong and avi vet is 6 hours away so unless something wrong I will take her