• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Dusty Cockatiel

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
Hello! I have a cockatiel named Onion. He's super cute, loves to preen a lot, and I have him in my room. That's where the trouble comes in. He stays in his cage (I keep it open but he prefers to not come out, but I still leave the option to, he's come out a few times before) so he can bond with me, I have my schooldesk right next to him. However, he is SUPER dusty. I'm trying to keep the window open all day and even wear a face mask, but is that enough? Or do I have to do daily vaccuum cleanings (which would make him scared and lose trust) to keep my lungs healthy? I love to ice skate and dance, so I really need good lungs.

Thanks if anybody can help!

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
Could you get an air filter next to his cage? You could get a pack of microfiber cloths and dust around his cage.
Btw, Onion is a super cute name :D

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
Hello! I have a cockatiel named Onion. He's super cute, loves to preen a lot, and I have him in my room. That's where the trouble comes in. He stays in his cage (I keep it open but he prefers to not come out, but I still leave the option to, he's come out a few times before) so he can bond with me, I have my schooldesk right next to him. However, he is SUPER dusty. I'm trying to keep the window open all day and even wear a face mask, but is that enough? Or do I have to do daily vaccuum cleanings (which would make him scared and lose trust) to keep my lungs healthy? I love to ice skate and dance, so I really need good lungs.

Thanks if anybody can help!
cockatiels are generally the more dustier of the birds lol. try getting a HEPA air filter/purifier, and sweeping and vacuuming daily helps too. Provide slightly warm bath opportunities, if he likes bathing in a bowl, provide him daily with lukewarm water, it can help with the hydration of the feathers, especially in molting season! if you have screens in your windows that are safe, air out the house a little!! let the dust out lol.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with the previous ideas: baths, air filters, dust cloths, vacuuming, airing daily, etc.

To this I would add wet dusting. Get a cotton rag (could be an old wash cloth); wet it; wipe all surfaces daily rinsing in between.

Keep your closet/ wardrobe closed. Put away your knickknacks in drawers or behind glass doors. It's easier to clean if you don't have dust collectors. Get a closed bookcase or put it in your closet. No clutter!

Ask your parents if you can replace the flooring if it's carpet. Linoleum is cheap. Your health is worth it. If not, vacuum daily.

Get a mini shop vac. This is amazing for cleaning around bird cages!

Launder your bedding regularly, including blankets, bed skirts, etc. Don't store anything under your bed.

And above all, don't get more birds. Having recognized this risk, focus on Onion. Don't be tempted to get anymore. Fewer birds = less dust = reduced risk.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It sounds to me as if you are quite young. Please for your sake, don't leave your cockatiel in your rom all of the time. Get his cage into another room where you aren't sleeping with him and use the enhanced cleaning and hepa filter ideas presented to you. Bird keeper's lung cannot be cured and it will be with you for the rest of your life. Take the precautions necessary. We have had a number of members of this forum have to rehome all of their birds just because of this disease and one person I know of who died from it.

Birds are not immune from this disease and my Greenwinged macaw female has it from living with cockatoos for 20 years. She will never recover. She will only get worse - never better - even though she will never be near and African Grey, Cockateil or Cockatoo again.

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
It sounds to me as if you are quite young. Please for your sake, don't leave your cockatiel in your rom all of the time. Get his cage into another room where you aren't sleeping with him and use the enhanced cleaning and hepa filter ideas presented to you. Bird keeper's lung cannot be cured and it will be with you for the rest of your life. Take the precautions necessary. We have had a number of members of this forum have to rehome all of their birds just because of this disease and one person I know of who died from it.

Birds are not immune from this disease and my Greenwinged macaw female has it from living with cockatoos for 20 years. She will never recover. She will only get worse - never better - even though she will never be near and African Grey, Cockateil or Cockatoo again.

Oh no...
He's been in my room for about 3 months. I'll get him out right away...

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
So even a face mask can't help?

BirbBrain

Walking the driveway
So even a face mask can't help?
Well, I think it might help a bit, but again like other people have said, you should get a air purifier and move your bird's cage to a separate room.

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
There probably shouldn't be permanent damage right now...right?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Based on the number of minors on this forum who keep birds in their bedrooms & the timeframe involved, likely not. It seems heavily tied to developing allergies, from what it says in Hankmacaw's link.

It may ease your mind to visit a doctor though & express your concerns.

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
He's downstairs now, but I'm just sort of sad that he won't be able to be with me. Since his cage is super heavy, we can't really bring him upstairs just to let him out, it's probably scary to him too...
also he's probably going to lose trust because I'm almost always upstairs, doing homework.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
My bird sleeps in my room. I spend a lot of time outdoors and I also ride a lot. But I keep the windows open all day and night (except when it gets cold) so it's constantly airing out. I obviously have screens on my window. We also have an air-purifier. I have asthma, but birds have never bothered me! I spend so much time with birds, but I never wear a face mask or anything. It might be a risk, but my birds are my pets, and I love them! I'm not trying to put myself in danger, but I'm not going to lose the amazing relationship I have with them.

You can still hang out with Onion! Just having him in a closed room with no air filters 24/7 might not be the best idea. But I wouldn't worry about letting him study with you. But it's your choice.

Last edited:

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
My bird sleeps in my room. I keep the windows open all day and night though (except when it gets cold) so it's constantly airing out. I obviously have screens on my window. We also have an air-purifier. I have asthma, but birds have never bothered me! I spend so much time with birds, but I never wear a face mask or anything. It might be a risk, but my birds are my pets, and I love them! I'm not trying to put myself in danger, but I'm not going to lose the amazing relationship I have with them. You can still hang out with him! Just having him in a closed room with no air filters 24/7 might not be the best idea.
I just really don't want to take the risk of getting a lung disease. Also it's sort of cold here...

he started screaming...is he scared? Lonely?

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
It just breaks my heart to see him alone downstairs...

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Gigibirds You do not have cockateils, which are one of the three dustiest birds. But anyone with that close of an association with parrots should take precautions against bird keeper's lung disease.

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
Could you set up a desk by his cage and do your homework there? My bird's cage is in the living room, so I do my school stuff in a chair by him.

DinoStormy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emma
I don't have stairs, but my budgies are in the middle of the house. Everyday when I get home, I roll them into my room so they can spend 5-6 hours with me. After that I roll them back in and vacuum.
I looked after a cockatiel once, and there is a lot of dust. Goodluck!