• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My dog was attacked by a pit bull today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kathy
I just read your entire thread. What a story! It's a never ending worry when we walk our pup. You just never know who's on the end of the other leash (if they even bother).
Lucy is adorable; I love her little ears. I pray that her emotional wounds heal, as I'm sure she'll recover from the physical trauma, in time.
My best to you -- keep up the good fight and be sure you become the "pit bull" when it comes to prosecuting those cruel and uncaring people.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I feel sorry for the dog as well. It obviously isn't in a loving home.

Well, our good news is Lucy hasn't vomited in two days:) She seems much happier and starting to get back to her old self. She's still a bit sore in the mornings, but she is eating and drinking on her own. Now it's just time to let her wounds heal.

That is so excellent. Poor thing was probably just so sore.

4isEnough

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ellina
. Dog on dog bites don't count as a dangerous dog act. I really think that the law should be amended to automatically make the persons responsible for the dog and all bills etc. accumulated after the accident.
Dogs are considered property. There is no criminal act unless there was malice that can be proven. However, though it cannot be pursued criminally, they are certainly civilly liable for your expenses. The owner of the pit bull is responsible for the damage to your property. You do not have to hire a lawyer. You can go to small claims court, pro per, where the award limit is $7,500. I would file with them. Unfortunately, the defendants would have to have the ability to pay

In CA, at least, a dog who attacks other dogs is considered vicious and would be condemned after the second reported attack.

Last edited:

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
Glad to hear a positive update about Lucy. Poor little thing must have suffered so much pain in the last few days since the attack. What a relief that she is so improved. Please keep us updated on her progress.

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thank you :) I am so happy she has finally stopped vomiting. Now that she is keeping food down, she is doing much better. She is getting her strength back, and is more like our feisty girl we love.

The ten day quarantine is up tomorrow, so the other dog should be released from animal control. I am not sure if they will be calling us tomorrow to bring Lucy in so they can look her over and closed the case, or just tell us over the phone that the case is closed. They told us that either way could happen. If that happens tomorrow, then I can do the paperwork to get the records released from the city attorney and start the process to get the documents released.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Checking in to see how everyone is doing. Is Lucy feeling better?

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Lucy is doing so much better, thank you for asking about her. She is finally over all her vomiting and off her pain medication. Her wounds are healing nicely, and she is pretty much back to her old self. I really did miss her antics around the house. I know my chihuahua Chuwee really missed his play mate.

Last Friday I had to pay another fee to get her a release from the vet from quarantine so that animal control could finish with the case. The owner of the other dog had paid their fines and took the dog out of the city limits per the requirements from animal control.

Once I took in the paperwork on Friday, I also filed with my paperwork for the release of records. This will take probably 10 to 15 days to process through the city attorney. Once that is complete, we will be filing in small claims court for the vet bills which ended up being $1496.96 in total. It's amazing what one dog bite can add up to not just in money, but time and emotional tolls as well.

Every time I look at Lucy's scars, I thank God that she is still here, and that my other dog and especially my husband weren't severely injured or worse because of one person irresponsibility.

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Geez :hug8: I hope the dog doesn't get himself into more trouble, and I truly hope the owner has decided that perhaps owning a dog might not be the best thing for them if they can't be completely responsible.

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
OMG I must have missed this! I can't believe hey had no remorse adn for the owner not to appologize is quite pathetic as well. I hope all is well!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Lucy is doing so much better, thank you for asking about her. She is finally over all her vomiting and off her pain medication. Her wounds are healing nicely, and she is pretty much back to her old self. I really did miss her antics around the house. I know my chihuahua Chuwee really missed his play mate.

Last Friday I had to pay another fee to get her a release from the vet from quarantine so that animal control could finish with the case. The owner of the other dog had paid their fines and took the dog out of the city limits per the requirements from animal control.

Once I took in the paperwork on Friday, I also filed with my paperwork for the release of records. This will take probably 10 to 15 days to process through the city attorney. Once that is complete, we will be filing in small claims court for the vet bills which ended up being $1496.96 in total. It's amazing what one dog bite can add up to not just in money, but time and emotional tolls as well.

Every time I look at Lucy's scars, I thank God that she is still here, and that my other dog and especially my husband weren't severely injured or worse because of one person irresponsibility.
So good to hear sweet Lucy is on the mend. :hug8:

Tiger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tiger
:hug8:I am so glad to hear that Lucy is doing so much better now! What a brave little dog you got!:heart:

Red Jasper

Real Name
Elizabeth
Hello
I, too, have just now read this entire thread and first please let me say how sorry I am your beautiful, loving Lucy had to experience such a traumatic ordeal. One of my very close friends recently had a horrific experience of witnessing a pit bull (yes an actual pit bull not a different breed) grab a hold of her cat and literally maul it to death before her eyes and no matter what she hit that dog with or how she tried, she could not get it to let go of the cat. It traumatized her and left her with unhealable emotional scars. Regardless of breed, this is something that is happening more often because young people are not taught by their guardians how to care for other living beings properly, are allowed to harbor a dangerous animal (whom they've made dangerous to begin with) and could not care less with their apathetic attitudes about the magnitude of pain they are causing. What's so much worse is that officers of the law, people we are supposed to count on for help and guidance, often end up being more ignorant and disrespectful to the victims than the actual perpetrators themselves.

I am glad you decided to go to small claims. I have been through a small claims suit regarding the wrongful death of an animal before therefore if you would like to ask any questions about the proceedings and what kind of information the judge will need to win your case, please do not hesitate to PM me.

I am so very glad that Lucy is on the mend. That poor little girl. It makes me so livid toward the ignorance that is perpetuated by careless and lazy people especially when it comes to proper and respectful care for animals, creatures filled with vibrant life with whom we share this planet. I hope you get justice. I hope the papers work with you to print your story. And above all, I hope you get your day in court to bring justice to Lucy and finally get this dimwitted woman scared and aware of the consequences of her actions.

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
So glad Lucy is pulling through. :) What an awful ordeal.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
so glad to hear that Lucy is doing so very well.. :hug8:

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Glad to hear she is doing well :hug8:

abbydp

Real Name
Tara
I am so glad to hear this looks to be ending well!! What a brave little dog. Hopefully this will make them wake up a realize what a time bomb they may have on their hands. I doubt it, but you can always hope right? Hang in there and don't let them out of their responsibility. People like that need to realize that if you can't be responsible before hand you better be prepared to be responsible for cleaning up your mess!!

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thank you everyone for the wonderful wishes for Lucy. She continues to get better and back to her old self every day. Her wounds have healed and her spirit is on the mend.

Red Jasper...thank you for the offer of help. Once we get our paperwork, I might just take you up on your offer. We have never gone through a court system before for anything, so this will be the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.