• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My dog was attacked by a pit bull today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
What great news. Lucy is a real heroine and so brave. Those eyes tell so much about her strength and courage. Thanks for letting us see her.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
She is beautiful. I know that broken ribs are very painful, which is probably why she doesn't want to eat, you use all those muscles to chew, swallow and digest. Also is it possible that she is allergic to the pain meds? Demerol makes me vomit violently.

Ginger

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
What a cutie she is!!!!!!So glad to read that she is making the turn!:highfive::hug8:

birdstuff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claudia
Oh Lucy you are just precious!!! What an adorable face!
I'm so happy to hear the good news
Keeping Lucy in prayer
:hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I felt so sad reading how Lucy is now afraid of the cat and hope with time she will feel better. I'm glad she's doing better after the vet stay. Saying prsyers her recovery goes smoothly now.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Well, I picked Lucy up from the vet this evening, and she looks so much better:dance4: She has kept all her IV fluids down today, and has not vomited once!. She also ate some critical care moist dog food, and kept that down tonight too! I am soooo excited!! She still isn't out of the woods according to the vet, but she feels that Lucy turned a corner today. It is going to take her quite awhile to get over her broken ribs and such, but the vet feels that she is definitely on her way. I just want to thank everyone again for all your support and well wishes. They were answered today:)

This is my Lucy. She found us one night a few years back coming home from shopping. She showed up in our driveway. No one claimed her, so she found her forever home here with us. The people that had her before don't know what a sweet dog they could have had. People tell us she is a tad odd looking with her wing bat ears, but we love her dearly, and she looks adorable to us.

Oh, she is so cute. Poor her, I am glad she is improving. How is your husband and other dog doing? I know you said he was having a difficult time working through it.:hug8:

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
Im glad shes feeling better =) She looks VERY close to Laceys dad! Im not sure why i was picturing a small chihuahua. I think she is adorable!

southernbirds

Just for the record, Vomiting from a medication is not an allergy, it is an side effect. That would be hard to determine in dogs if there were other things going on such as this precious one has. Pain itself can make a dog or person nauseous.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Aww she is adorable and gosh she was a rescue on top of it. Sounds like she is starting to rally back. Many prayers still coming for Lucy. :hug8:

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thank you for the Lucy compliments. She is a sweet soul. :)

Well, we had a set back this morning when she woke up. She vomited first thing today. So I called the vet, and they wanted me to bring her back in. On the way to the vet, she vomited all over me and my car, and then again at the vets. They are getting more concerned with her vomiting. They checked her over again, and wanted to do a barium x-ray to make sure she didn't have a puncture or something they missed on the regular x-ray they took earlier. They also did more blood work as well. All the tests came back negative. Nothing on the x-ray or in the blood work. So now we are back to medication for vomiting, and some pain meds. The vet said to give her the pain meds as a last resourt if I feel she is in too much pain as she feels that it might be the medication that is making her vomit. I have to keep her calm and quiet for the rest of the week, and if she continues to vomit, of course take her back to the vet. So, we took a step forward, and a couple back today. Over all though, she is looking much better, which is still a good thing to see. Hopefully it is just her pain medication that is making her ill, and not pancreatitis.

While I was waiting for the Lucy to get her x-rays done, I drove over to animal control to get my paperwork so I could process it next week. I ended up talking to the animal control supervisor. As much as she couldn't tell me all information on the owners of the dog, she did tell me more information that even made me more upset about this whole situation. Apparently, this dog is well known to the animal control officers. They have had numerous incidents with the lady that owns this dog, and she said they have had enough of her. She told me they have deemed the dog as dangerous, and she has to sign a letter from the animal control office stating she knows that they have done so. Which means, if they catch the dog back in the city limits for any reason, the dog will be put down automatically. She also told me that when this dog has been in their custody, the lady waits until the last minute when animal control calls them and explains to her if she doesn't come and get her dog, they will put it down. So the dog sits in animal control care for days to weeks until she shows up. She then shows up and instead of paying the fines she has incurred, they do community service to pay off their fines, which she opts to do all the time. By law, they have that option. She wanted me to know that part because she doesn't feel that we will get any money from her to pay our vet bills. The supervisor said that unfortunately for us, the lady and her family do not care what happens to other people and their pets, and that they are sadly irresponsible owners. Again, I expressed to her how frustrated and angry we are even more so now, that this lady gets to keep getting away with what she is doing due to the way the laws are stated here in our city. She did tell me they have noticed a rise in the city of dog on dog bites, and they want to get the laws revised to deem it a dog fight if a dog bites another dog. If that law gets passed, then they have more power to deal with the owners with more severe consequences. She also told me the dog's name, so that if we ever heard it, that we were to call them right away. The supervisor also to us that they will be checking her property here on a regular basis to make sure that she does not bring the dog back to her property here in the city. As much as I am not happy about all of this information, I am glad that they have deemed the dog as a danger, and that is more than they told me would happen at first. She said that our reports and paperwork from the vets offices helped out with the case greatly.

We have decided to process our case in small claims court anyways because even though we might not get paid for our bills if we win the case, the law will apparently put a lean on her property that will have to be paid out if she ever sells her property here in the city. The vet bills so far this week have cost us over a thousand dollars. So, we shall see what happens in the next few months. One day, the lady will pay for her irresponsibility and callousness one way or another. Be it from us, or the powers that be. My Grandma use to say, what goes around, comes around, and sometimes God get to do the coming around part and not you.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I hope they can get the vomiting under control, it seems like it must be the pain med. Can they try a different kind?
As for that owner..:mad: She sounds like a real piece of work. Even though her dog is aggressive, I still feel bad for it, what an awful life he has too being owned by losers like that. :( It is true..karma is a you know what..you will see justice in some form or another, it is just the law of the universe. :hug8:

Last edited:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Personally, now I feel sorry for the dog...who is to say where he will end up...are they taking pictures of the dog while they have him? What/who is to say that she doesn't give or sell him to someone else in the city???
Don't get me wrong...I am very upset about what happened to your dog/husband...or could happen to others in the future...these people should be held responsible, fully!:hug8:

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I feel sorry for the dog as well. It obviously isn't in a loving home.

Well, our good news is Lucy hasn't vomited in two days:) She seems much happier and starting to get back to her old self. She's still a bit sore in the mornings, but she is eating and drinking on her own. Now it's just time to let her wounds heal.

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
:hug8: that's great news. I'm so sorry that Lucy has to deal with the emotional scars, those are always the slowest to heal. :hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I am so pleased to hear it. Still saying prayers for her continued recovery.

Ginger

zoomama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
so glad to hear the vomiting has improved, and praying it continues! glad to hear you are pursuing the small claims court route too, even if it only is to send a message. Will the animal control supervisor be a witness for you, or can you get records as evidence of how many people/animals have been hurt so you can prove the owner should have known this dog could be a danger to others? If so, that should help your case. Good luck with everything, and glad Lucy is feeling better :)

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I feel sorry for the dog as well. It obviously isn't in a loving home.

Well, our good news is Lucy hasn't vomited in two days:) She seems much happier and starting to get back to her old self. She's still a bit sore in the mornings, but she is eating and drinking on her own. Now it's just time to let her wounds heal.
This is wonderful news!! I hope she improves more everyday, you did such a good job taking care of her. :hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
This is such good news! I hope she continues to improve more each day. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.