• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My dog is barking at my birds

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I've had my Maya for nearly two years. She has recently begun barking at my birds and I 'm becoming concerned. Outside of exposure lessons and a kennel can I get some advice? I'd rather avoid kennels, though I do have them from when she was spayed.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Does Maya have physical access to your birds and vice versa (i.e. they're not physically separated)?

What are your birds doing when Maya barks at the birds? Is there a specific scenario or pattern you've noticed?
What are you doing when Maya barks at the birds? What do you do during and after an episode? Is there a jealousy issue?
Has anything changed in the environment or routine?

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
My birds are in their cages up til evening time when I let them out. The baby turkey is the newest thing so it could be a combination of that and instinct. Last dog I had that did this quickly learned not to cause sparrows stole his eyebrows but that was a very long time ago and they were wild. Maya has never barked at my birds before. Molly does make a lot of squeaky noises? Similar to some dog toys. Which is odd because doesn’t play with them. Just her sisters.

Though I’ve been watching her lately and she’s developed food aggression and a territorial habit with the bed. Again none of these behaviors are familiar to me from her. Other dogs, yes. It’s only been a few days as far as I know and she does have a skittish side. She and her sister were attacked by large breed dogs prior to my adopting them. Maya has always been my calm, well behaved one.

I’m going to discuss the behavior with my vet since it is new and she seems healthy enough. Dogs I’ve had in the past usually went through a ‘terrible twos’ phase. I know birds will get that way but I can’t find websites to help figure this out like I do for my birds. Nor do I know exactly what her actual breed mix is. I was told chihuahua mix but she’s a big girl and reminds me of a mini pin/terrier mix.

I have also been more anxious lately due to personal issues so she might be reading that. I simply don’t know and am trying my best to collect my thoughts on it.

my chief pets I’m discussing are a week old turkey Molly Blu Wobbles and 2 year old chihuahua mix Maya Blade.

I’m word vomiting but I’ll try to clear up issues or concerns to the best of my ability. Maya can see just fine, but I’ll have the vet pay special attention to it at her next appointment.

one major reason to nip this barking at turkeys in the bud is the adults I own. A turkey could easily hurt my little dogs. We also have other farm animals to keep maya from doing this behavior to. It simply isn’t allowable. I have been looking for homes for the turkeys but no takers. Everybody wants them butchered and I just don’t got the heart for it. That’s like them wanting me to murderilize my Jade.