• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My day with Elvis so far

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So I am back to working from home after being back in the office for about a year. The birds have been really good about it overall. Even Elvis. This morning though, Elvis was extra wound up. Even though we were playing, I guess I wasn't giving him enough of my undivided attention. So, he started throwing spice jars out of the cupboard. Once they hit the floor, Elvis considers them toys/enemies. And I KNOW not to pick them up. But I thought I could distract him with his sock. Wrong. You can't fool a cockatoo. Even though he was on the other side of the room and I was trying to kind of hide it with my body, as soon as I picked up one of the jars, Elvis was on it. Literally. He is hanging off the spice jar and my finger at the same time. Luckily, he was flapping his wings and taking most of his body weight off of my finger. So I only got a little cut. I really thought it was going to be bad- it wasn't. Not sure if he was trying not to bite hard or if I was just lucky.

Then, he wanted no part of going back in his cage. Which he's usually really good about in the mornings. I tell him the "babies" (the cockatiels) want to come down and see him. And he usually goes in without a fuss. Not today, he wanted NO part of it. I would get him to his cage. He would look in it like he was going to go in and then just fly away. Eventually, I got him to go it.

So, next I was working upstairs. And I hear this weird Elvis screaming. Not his normal scream. I don't want to enforce the screaming by checking on him but then I think, I better check on him. I go downstairs to find a half blue bird. :rolleyes: He apparently decided to take a bath in his water dish (so yes, water everyone. And soggy pellets kind of gross me out). And then rub against his blue toy. He was very proud of himself. LOL.

I can't even imagine what's going to happen when I let him out to play this evening.....

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Interesting Elvis chose blue. JaKhu took a rawhide piece off a toy & stuck it in her water dish today. She has blue feet, LOL.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a lovable stinker. I’m glad you didn’t really get hurt. Good luck this evening during playtime!

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
So I am back to working from home after being back in the office for about a year. The birds have been really good about it overall. Even Elvis. This morning though, Elvis was extra wound up. Even though we were playing, I guess I wasn't giving him enough of my undivided attention. So, he started throwing spice jars out of the cupboard. Once they hit the floor, Elvis considers them toys/enemies. And I KNOW not to pick them up. But I thought I could distract him with his sock. Wrong. You can't fool a cockatoo. Even though he was on the other side of the room and I was trying to kind of hide it with my body, as soon as I picked up one of the jars, Elvis was on it. Literally. He is hanging off the spice jar and my finger at the same time. Luckily, he was flapping his wings and taking most of his body weight off of my finger. So I only got a little cut. I really thought it was going to be bad- it wasn't. Not sure if he was trying not to bite hard or if I was just lucky.

Then, he wanted no part of going back in his cage. Which he's usually really good about in the mornings. I tell him the "babies" (the cockatiels) want to come down and see him. And he usually goes in without a fuss. Not today, he wanted NO part of it. I would get him to his cage. He would look in it like he was going to go in and then just fly away. Eventually, I got him to go it.

So, next I was working upstairs. And I hear this weird Elvis screaming. Not his normal scream. I don't want to enforce the screaming by checking on him but then I think, I better check on him. I go downstairs to find a half blue bird. :rolleyes: He apparently decided to take a bath in his water dish (so yes, water everyone. And soggy pellets kind of gross me out). And then rub against his blue toy. He was very proud of himself. LOL.

I can't even imagine what's going to happen when I let him out to play this evening.....
I am laughing so hard. I am so glad that Bailey understands work so when I am on my computer, I put him on his and we go to work.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So, as a follow up. Last night, we played without incident. Elvis was completely fun and cute. Then, it was time to go back in his cage. Somehow, he got his toe stuck in the cage bars. :rolleyes: He's had this cage since the day we brought him home. It has never happened before. But there's a little space near the top front of the cage where a platform door opens. And his toe was really stuck. He's pulling and pulling. I'm trying not to panic. I reach inside the cage and am trying to push his toe out. He's sort of lunging at me but not actually biting. I'm fully prepared for a chomp but he doesn't do it. I finally push his toe out and check to make sure it's okay. It is, thankfully. He starts running around the top of his cage, climbs down..... and gets his toe stuck again! We repeat the whole process. He's had this cage for years.... and it gets stuck twice in one night. I've been looking for a new cage for him and now this just upped the urgency. This cage will be gone soon.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
So glad he’s ok. That’s a very mysterious thing to happen twice in one night if he’s had it that long!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
You had some weird mojo going on at your house yesterday! :lol: I like that Elvis knew you were helping him.:heart: I half expected you to say that Elvis got his foot stuck again on purpose just for the attention!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You had some weird mojo going on at your house yesterday! :lol: I like that Elvis knew you were helping him.:heart: I half expected you to say that Elvis got his foot stuck again on purpose just for the attention!
I half wondered if he did it again because he was mad and wanted to show the cage who was the boss. The cage won. LOL. He definitely knew I was helping him. I have learned that if I can stay calm, he generally stays calm. I was panicking a little the first time though but tried not to let him know it. I was actually 2 seconds away from toweling him- which I never do- and having Howie him while I worked on getting the toe out. Luckily it wasn't necessary as Elvis stayed fairly calm. The second time I was almost in tears though because I felt like it was my fault for giving him a cage where he could get stuck. Ugh.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Elvis sounds like a handful! I like cockatoo stories, they are so crazy!:roflmao:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh man.....