• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My day was made, for Mrs. Major Mitchells displayed her crest for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
A dream bird{that I would never consider} I love them for their looks..lol. AWESOME pics!:heart:

Blazeybird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Houston
Thanks for the compliments! Im glad you all understand why it made my day :D

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Absolutely stunning!!! I love Major Mitchells. They are not high on the list for making good pets and IMO I believe they are most beautiful in wild or hugh aviaries where they can be bred for release. I know they are found in many numbers in Australia.
Actually, if you aren't expecting a cuddly Cockatoo like the white ones and can deal with an independent personality, they can make incredible pets. People tend to purchase them without doing the research and then are disappointed when they find out that they are kind of a hands off bird and that's how they get the "bad pet" reputation. Everyone I know who has them absolutely loves them but these are seasoned bird owners who knew what to expect when purchasing them.

BTW - I think that's a male in the pictures...absolutely stunning!

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
Actually, if you aren't expecting a cuddly Cockatoo like the white ones and can deal with an independent personality, they can make incredible pets. People tend to purchase them without doing the research and then are disappointed when they find out that they are kind of a hands off bird and that's how they get the "bad pet" reputation. Everyone I know who has them absolutely loves them but these are seasoned bird owners who knew what to expect when purchasing them.
What you're saying is very true and glad someone mentioned this about the MM2s. They are very aloof. I know from having seen one in my area countless times. The bird refuses to acknowledge anyone unless they either make a racket or are being cage intrusive. Even then, the bird will usually just look towards the disturbance and maybe move away. That's it. No sound and very little else. I never even seen her raise her crest. The overall impression of the species I got from the first day I laid eyes on one is snobbish. Like no one is good enough. Maybe it's just this one bird, IDK, but she exemplified the very antithesis of the stereotypical cockatoo persona.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Beautiful shots Houston, what a stunning bird!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Beautiful bird!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Wow she is a beauty!!

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Houston she is beautiful! I'm jealous now, that crest is to die for!

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
OMG, how beautiful!

TITANIS

Thank you, she (or he!) sure what gorgeous!
Houston, what did you do to get him/her to display? I want to see if I can get the one in my area to raise her crest even if it's only a centimeter, for the first time in over two years...

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
I just stood there and sweet talked her basically. I told her what a pretty girl she was, how gorgeous her feathers where (yes the ppl walking by gave me very weird looks LOL) but she finally put her crest up and started to bob her head and show off. Thats all :D

Good luck getting the one near you to display for you!!

catnloco

Sprinting down the street
Absolutely stunning. The Major Mitchell is MY ALL TIME favorite cockatoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.