• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My current dilemma: mice vs rats

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
I am currently searching for a small animal pet. I bounce back and forth between wanting rats or a (male)mouse.

Things I am unsure about(for mice):
1. The smell of a male mouse
The problem with this is everyone's opinions and individual mice vary hugely.

2. What bedding and how much
Is aspen really okay? Is 2-3 inches enough?

3. Personality
I'm used to rats, how different are they from male mice?

I have more experience with rats, so I'm not sure whether to "try something new" with mice, or stick with what I know.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use Carefresh with my rabbits. It's amazing stuff. Maybe you'd like to try it with rats or mice.

Personally, I think it might be good for you to try a different animal. But I've never had either species.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
For me, rats win. No contest.

Mice are cute, but too small, fast, and fragile. They tend to be more flighty and harder to tame, compared to rats. If young children are involved, there is more risk of injury to both parties, from bites or from accidental drops or escapes.

That being said, a good mouse can make a great pet and they share many similarities with their larger cousins. If space is a concern, mice are a great option.

Can't speak to the smell issue as it has been many years since I kept mice.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes 1 one male mouse is stinkier to me then 3 male rats :lol:

Aspen is fine; when my rats had mites, my vet recommended Aspen for their bedding as it is cheap and easy to replace. 2 to 3 inches is plenty. Carefresh works too!

Mice in my experience aren't as fond of being held as rats are. When my sister had them it felt like I was always intruding on them trying to interact with them, while with rats they like to invite you right into the group :)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it depends on what you want out of a pet. Mice are really enjoyable to watch in a big, spacious habitat with lots of toys and fun stuff for them to explore. They're less into being handled and are so small and fragile.

Rats also enjoy a spacious environment with lots of toys, but are usually very willing to make friends. Mine would groom my eyebrows and nails, try to lick my teeth, wrestle with my hand and come and see me for a fuss. My rescue lad liked to rest his head on my thumb while I had my fingers curled over his head to stroke between his ears. He would actually choose fuss over food which is something not even Leia would choose. They're basically like very small puppies.

In the UK, cardboard bedding is popular. It's usually sold for horses but makes a good small animal bedding.

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
I LOVE rats! I had many and I miss them a lot! I used carefresh bedding as well. I say go with a rat, they are such wonderful little creature :heart:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I am currently searching for a small animal pet. I bounce back and forth between wanting rats or a (male)mouse.

Things I am unsure about(for mice):
1. The smell of a male mouse
The problem with this is everyone's opinions and individual mice vary hugely.

2. What bedding and how much
Is aspen really okay? Is 2-3 inches enough?

3. Personality
I'm used to rats, how different are they from male mice?

I have more experience with rats, so I'm not sure whether to "try something new" with mice, or stick with what I know.
I haven't heard much about keeping mice alone, with the exception of aggressive mice. I have not had mice, but I have had rats. I do know rats are more maintenance. And I have kept a single rat, after her friend died. And she did well alone. I gave her lots of attention after her friend past. So as long as you are aware of the higher level of interaction they need when they are single. It probably applies to mice as well.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I’ve had both rats and mice (separately, obviously) and rats are way more human friendly. Obviously there are mice that will be more loving toward humans-I had a little white mouse named Algernon, he wasn’t with me long but he loved spending time with me- and rats that won’t like humans, but generally speaking rats are more human oriented.

Mice are good if you want a companion but don’t have the time to hang out with it lots, but if you want a companion to hang out with then I suggest a rat instead

Edit: Oh and stink wise, I’ve always found mice to be way smellier than rats... not sure why that is. I hardly even smelled any of my rats, mostly just their bedding

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I had both Mice and Rats. Two female mice, Gizmo and Mogwai, and then the rats I didn´t know their sex, but they were same sex pair, Marlon and Rex.

I prefer rats, more to hold and love :) Mice are a lot smaller, fragile and quicker.

I hardly even smelled any of my rats
Same, rats didn´t smell at all for me either.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Male mice are almost always kept alone(or neutered and kept with females). They are very aggressive towards other males, unlike rats. Female mice are kept in groups(usually 3+ mice in a group).
Oh wow. I did not know that. I learn something new every day:D

Dania

Strolling the yard
I agree go with rats. My sister had rats when she was younger and they wanted to meet everyone.