• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My conure won't step up

Mrprocrast

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone,
I have been having trouble with getting my bird to step up. Now before I mention anything else, as some of you probably know, I have only had her for only a little over a week now. But the reason I ask for advice is because she has actually shown great progress during this week in every aspect except this one. She definitely is a quick learner, so I wonder what I'm doing wrong or what I could improve.
At this moment, she is pretty comfortable with the presence of my hands in and around her cage. I still have to be careful not to make any sudden movements or anything too loud, but I think that's only natural for them to be afraid of. She eats just fine from my hand when I offer treats, both through the bars as well as inside the cage. Recently I started target training her as well, which she also learned really quickly.

Now, when it comes to stepping up, this bird seems to have a mind of her own :roflmao: I tried several methods. Holding a treat in my hand while distancing my hand so that she has to step up. Holding up a treat while creating a perch with my fingers so that she can reach it. Putting her target stick on my hand for her to step up and reach it. None of it works. She will do absolutely ANYTHING to get to the treat without stepping up. It surprises me actually with how creative she can get, approaching my hand from a different side of the cage or just reaching over and making herself really long. While doing so, she leans a little on my hand as well with her chest but as soon as she gets the treat she pulls away again. When she realized that she can really not reach it without having to step up, she just ignores it and continues whatever she was doing before. It almost seems like she doesn't know how to step up. Because she certainly is not afraid of my hand anymore, she nibbles it a lot and explores it. But when it comes to stepping up, it just doesn't happen. What would you guys recommend?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It sounds like she's being stubborn and buffaloing you. Is your bird reliable at touching the target wherever it is? I'd do 3 or 4 short sessions a day, around 15 minutes each. If you're right handed, put your left at the doorway in step up position and hold the treat an inch behind it in your right hand. Shape her behavior in small steps. First she gets a treat for coming up to your hand several times. When that's locked in, progress to her touching your left hand reliably. Once she's doing that, position your right hand with the treat so she has to get on your hand. Only treat her if she steps on your hand. You have to be firm and not treat unless she complies. It may take a few days. She has to figure out that she has to step up on your hand to earn a treat.

Mrprocrast

Meeting neighbors
It sounds like she's being stubborn and buffaloing you. Is your bird reliable at touching the target wherever it is? I'd do 3 or 4 short sessions a day, around 15 minutes each. If you're right handed, put your left at the doorway in step up position and hold the treat an inch behind it in your right hand. Shape her behavior in small steps. First she gets a treat for coming up to your hand several times. When that's locked in, progress to her touching your left hand reliably. Once she's doing that, position your right hand with the treat so she has to get on your hand. Only treat her if she steps on your hand. You have to be firm and not treat unless she complies. It may take a few days. She has to figure out that she has to step up on your hand to earn a treat.
Yep, it didn't take long at all but she understood really quickly what the target is for and will go to touch it wherever I hold it. I definitely don't doubt her learning skills, she's super quick from what I've seen so far. It is probably just her being stubborn like you said. I will try out the method you described. Though she has not been out of the cage yet since I want her to be able to step up before I let her out. So would it be okay for me to train at the doorway where she can easily escape?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have two conures one stepped up pretty quickly the other one it took about 11 months, she used to come out of her cage play with her cousin would land on our legs but hands total non starter. She started stepping up when treats where offered and she was on my leg one day and is pretty consistent now however it is always on her terms if she doesnt want to she won't and she has ony ever stepped up once when she wasnt on my leg, she is growing more confident all the time however she is not the tactile conure you read about she is very much her own self and in my opinion very independant.
Exclelent advice above worked very well with Mojo but not with KiKi, we have always had a great relationship with KiKi and she puts herself back in her cage sometimes she needs a treat sometimes she doesnt.

Keep doing what your doing but dont push things to hard it might take some time but you will get there

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Yep, it didn't take long at all but she understood really quickly what the target is for and will go to touch it wherever I hold it. I definitely don't doubt her learning skills, she's super quick from what I've seen so far. It is probably just her being stubborn like you said. I will try out the method you described. Though she has not been out of the cage yet since I want her to be able to step up before I let her out. So would it be okay for me to train at the doorway where she can easily escape?
Yes.

Mrprocrast

Meeting neighbors
So here's a little update as well as a question. I took her out of the cage, simple because I felt bad locking her up for so long. And even though it was her first time outside, it went surprisingly well. She was nervous of course, but that led to her being more dependant on me and so she was on my hand or shoulder most of the time. I guess that caused her to gain more trust/get comfortable with stepping on my hand. Because the next day I got her to step up just fine with target training! So I'm glad it worked out in the end and she finally learned how to step up. However, at some point she started biting me pretty hard to the point of breaking skin as well. When I hold out my hand for her to step up, she will take a good couple bites before she steps up, and sometimes she won't even step up at all; just bite instead. I tried to discourage this by raising my voice and telling her to stop, and never pulled my hand away despite my hand bleeding a couple times :grumpy: But what could be the reason for her to bite me like that? Is it just her exploring my hand?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds usually bite when their body language isn't being listened to. If she doesn't want to step up and you keep asking, biting is her way of saying no.

Raising your voice may actually be reinforcing it as some birds love loud noises and drama.

You may just need to take it slower. Open the cage door, walk away, and let her come out if she wants to.

Mrprocrast

Meeting neighbors
Birds usually bite when their body language isn't being listened to. If she doesn't want to step up and you keep asking, biting is her way of saying no.

Raising your voice may actually be reinforcing it as some birds love loud noises and drama.

You may just need to take it slower. Open the cage door, walk away, and let her come out if she wants to.
See, that’s the problem. Now I’ll admit that since I’m a new owner I’m not the best at reading their body language yet. However, I do not force her into anything at all. My hand doesn’t chase her inside the cage or anything. I just hold my hand at the lowest perch in the cage, and she chooses the come all the way down there to step up, and bite. She definitely has a will of her own too, and doesn’t come down there every time in which case I let her be, like you said. But I’m not sure what could be causing the bites even when she approaches my hand on her own will?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you done any target training ?
I worked on target training before training them to step up, once touching the target not biting it move on to step up you are just replacing the targeting with your finger.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
See, that’s the problem. Now I’ll admit that since I’m a new owner I’m not the best at reading their body language yet. However, I do not force her into anything at all. My hand doesn’t chase her inside the cage or anything. I just hold my hand at the lowest perch in the cage, and she chooses the come all the way down there to step up, and bite. She definitely has a will of her own too, and doesn’t come down there every time in which case I let her be, like you said. But I’m not sure what could be causing the bites even when she approaches my hand on her own will?
It's possible she doesn't want you in the cage. For birds, the cage is essentially their nest, and only mates or offspring are often allowed in the nest.