• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My conure suddenly stopped flying

Richierich

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Richie
Hey everyone,

My first time here..

I have a black capped conure whom is unclipped and can fly: he has been diagnosed with Psittacosis (chlamydia) and we began antibiotic (doxycycline) treatment via needle. The first needle was no problem everything normal, however when we took him home after the second injection he suddenly stopped flying- when he tries to fly he drops straight to the floor. It’s worse than when he was clipped- drops like a brick. The second injection was in the pectoral muscle on the RIGHT side but the vet seems to think it’s his LEFT wing that isn’t moving well.

So we took him back to the vet and they tested X-rays and nothing is broken and no damage. The vet can’t figure it out. He’s been back home for a week now and it hasn’t improved. Everything is fine- eating, playing, drinking, poo, all normal. All blood tests fine.

I don’t know much about avian anatomy but if anyone can share any possible insights into what this may be would be great. Could it be possible the vet hit a nerve with the needle? Are their nerves in that area? Could that be the issue?

Thank you so muchIn advance

Aves

Rollerblading along the road

winniezon

Jogging around the block
i don't have any advice but i hope someone here does maybe speak with your vet

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Are you able to get a second opinion for a different vet?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Doxycyline is very thick, like honey. I had to give my Hank injections of Doxy for four months (once every 10 days) when he contracted a MRSA infection and I felt terrible every time I had to give it. Those injections hurt and can cause some muscle separation. You might ask your vet if oral Doxy might be better.

Richierich

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Richie
Doxycyline is very thick, like honey. I had to give my Hank injections of Doxy for four months (once every 10 days) when he contracted a MRSA infection and I felt terrible every time I had to give it. Those injections hurt and can cause some muscle separation. You might ask your vet if oral Doxy might be better.
Thank you for your response.
We have ,over to oral doxy but the flying issue remains. The next move is probably going back to the vet I think