• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My conure is used to me being unemployed

manda03

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ayla
I got a sun conure about 6 months ago and I haven’t been working the whole time. He pretty much goes everywhere with me that he’s allowed. I’m going to be moving and need to get a job but I’m worried about leaving him home/in his cage so much. I barely ever leave him in a cage I have a couple classes that I go to but it’s only about 6 hours a week and other than that the only cage time is night time and if I go to a restaurant he’s not allowed in. I have thought about getting him a friend so he isn’t lonely but I’m not sure I want to have another bird at the time. Me going to work would be a huge adjustment for him and I would probably feel guilty all of the time. I definitely would not consider finding him a new home I love him a lot and he’s also very attached to me. Does anyone have an idea of what I should do?

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
You can start by teaching him how to entertain himself, spend time alone, and learn to adapt to the changes in your life. Birds are generally very adaptable creatures. I have had my Timneh for almost 40 years. In that time, I have been a student, home most of the time, to working, to raising a family to having a job that had me out of the house usually more than 12 hours a day. Walter has adapted nicely to all these changes. I do have his cage in the center of the house where he can see and hear what is going on. He is able to easily entertain himself and often just enjoys having us near him. Start slowly (if you can but do not panic if you just have to go with it). Give him lots of toys, have a radio, tv or something else that makes sound often helps. Mix it up and give him foraging activities, putting his favorite treats out where he has to go looking for them (but always have fresh water and basic pellets easily available). There are several other feeds which have more suggestions as well. Hope this helps!

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Some recent discussion here...

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Some recent discussion here...
Thanks Flyzipper, I wasn't sure how to attach the link.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
(just copy the browser link for the thread and the forum will format it like that when it's posted -- try it yourself and use the Preview button to see how easy it is)