• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My conure is traumatized help

ritamholde

Checking out the neighborhood
I found my two-year-old Conure at the bottom of her Aviary outside.
Seemingly unresponsive and small feathers All around and in the screening of her cage. She has not made any of her usual chirping sounds And only wants to sleep. When I was able to get her out and put her on my shoulder. She stayed cuddi didn't want to leave. This just happened Sometime yesterday. I think she got caught in something in her cage. One tail feather seems to have broken off.
Anybody have any experience with such a thing? It is very unusual to not see her moving around and she is. Very traumatized.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
If something grabbed her thru the bars she may have wounds and should see a vet for antibiotics immediately.
Until then, it is very important to keep her nice and warm and in a quiet space. offer food and water in the cage.

ritamholde

If something grabbed her thru the bars she may have wounds and should see a vet for antibiotics immediately.
Until then, it is very important to keep her nice and warm and in a quiet space. offer food and water in the cage.
Thank you for giving me some response. I do not see how anything could have. Grabbed her through the very small screen.
Openings. Other than her loss of some feathers. I do not see in any physical damage on her. she is just wanting to cuddle on my neck And sleep. I am giving her a chance to rejuvenate on her own for a few hours. If not eating drinking I will seek a vet.

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
I always worry when I didn't see the event happening, because it's impossible to know if or how badly she is injured. If this happened yesterday and she wasn't back to her normal activity and personality, and eating, by last night, I'd call my vet now. For example, one of my birds had a tumble and even though he didn't have any known injuries, he did a lot better with a few days of pain medication that my vet recommended.

Like @MommyBird said, adding extra warmth is usually recommended. If she's cuddling on you, you could make a gentle heat pack by getting a washcloth wet in hot water, then put it in a ziptop bag and wrap it in a towel (make sure it's not too hot).

Good luck to your girl!

ritamholde

So kind of you to give me this advice. Yes, the mystery of how it happened and what really happened is still plaguing me. She just started to eat a bit but still wants to crawl up on my neck and sleep. Made a couple of quiet chirp sounds while she was eating. Encouraging.