• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Conure is Thin and does not eat by her owen

Ksajamaly

Moving in
Real Name
Aliasgar Jamali
Hey There I have a Yellow Sided Female Conure that is 3 months old, it was gifted by my parents, I have noticed that she only Eats from our hands she never eats from her food plate
She is a Very Active & Attention Sneaker Bird. My consent is that she is Thin and she doesn't eat on her own. Just wanted know Is She Sick bcoz In Past have been into this kind of situation and lost my Lovely Cockatiel Bird

Video and Photos Of My Bird : Conure - Google Drive

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-07 at 10.28.07 PM (2).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-02-07 at 10.28.07 PM (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-02-07 at 10.28.07 PM.jpeg

Looking Forward For Your Help C:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Was she weaned by the breeder? How long has she been in your home? Sometimes baby birds regress and need to be hand fed some when they get home.

Are you feeding the same food as the breeder? As sometimes they don't know what is food.

A vet visit is always a good idea regardless when bringing home a new bird just to be safe.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
12 week babies should be the opposite of thin. I would get her vet checked as soon as possible.

Ksajamaly

Moving in
Real Name
Aliasgar Jamali
Was she weaned by the breeder? How long has she been in your home? Sometimes baby birds regress and need to be hand fed some when they get home.

Are you feeding the same food as the breeder? As sometimes they don't know what is food.

A vet visit is always a good idea regardless when bringing home a new bird just to be safe.
she has been in my house for 3 days, the breeder told me he use to give sprouted lentils and sprouted chickpeas, but I have noticed that she love to eat corn more than sprouted beans

So now I'm giving her boiled corn , millets, and sunflower seeds

weight of my birds is 60 grams

89586236_1102538606769701_8987757020123758592_n.jpg

I have checked her keel bone and it feels like a pointy type

Last edited:

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Corn, millet and sunflower seeds won’t be a good enough diet to grow on alone. Sunflower seeds should largely be considered a treat only as they are very high in fat and can cause many problems later on. Do you have access to any pellets? A quality pellet diet will ensure your baby is getting all the necessary vitamins and nutrients needed to grow up strong.

A vet visit would be the best thing to do to check for any underlying issues that may need to be addressed before she can thrive. (Not saying there are any issues, but it’s always best to check.)

She may also need some additional time being hand fed formula. I know a few members here have had success using a teaspoon instead of a syringe. An avian vet should be able to go over the proper method for what your little one needs.

Ksajamaly

Moving in
Real Name
Aliasgar Jamali
Corn, millet and sunflower seeds won’t be a good enough diet to grow on alone. Sunflower seeds should largely be considered a treat only as they are very high in fat and can cause many problems later on. Do you have access to any pellets? A quality pellet diet will ensure your baby is getting all the necessary vitamins and nutrients needed to grow up strong.

A vet visit would be the best thing to do to check for any underlying issues that may need to be addressed before she can thrive. (Not saying there are any issues, but it’s always best to check.)

She may also need some additional time being hand-fed formula. I know a few members here have had success using a teaspoon instead of a syringe. An avian vet should be able to go over the proper method for what your little one needs.
Thanks for this information, but in my country, it is rare to find pellets for birds but pellets for cats and dogs are easily available.

I have also tried to feed a19 Hand feed formula with the help of a syringe and a curved teaspoon but she is not eating that, and I'm also not forcing her to eat that.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Nutribird is a good quality food if prepared correctly (1 part water to 2/2.5 parts water).

If your bird does not eat of their own accord, nor when offered formula on a spoon, you will need to take them to the vet to be fed. Ask the vet to show you how to gavage feed so you are able to do it at home when needed.

but in my country, it is rare to find pellets for birds
Which country? Maybe we can help find links online.

Ksajamaly

Moving in
Real Name
Aliasgar Jamali
Nutribird is a good quality food if prepared correctly (1 part water to 2/2.5 parts water).

If your bird does not eat of their own accord, nor when offered formula on a spoon, you will need to take them to the vet to be fed. Ask the vet to show you how to gavage feed so you are able to do it at home when needed.

Which country? Maybe we can help find links online.
I went to a vet and he has prescribed me a multivitamin syrup and a liver tonic syrup, 2 drops of each 2 times a day for 3 days

I also talked to the previous breeder of my bird and he told me that the bird is in the weaning process. So now I hand feed my bird at night time, so encouraging her to eat on her own in the day.
Feeding A19 bird formula with medicine prescribed by the vet. She Only takes 6-7ml of hand feeding formula, is it normal to feed 6-7ml or should I feed her more??

I'm not using the gavage feed technique. she now feeds like a normal baby bird

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
is it normal to feed 6-7ml or should I feed her more??
If she weighs 60g with an empty crop then it´s ok.
She should be eating 10-15% of her body weigh per feed. You need to weigh her when her crop is empty to get an accurate weight.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge