• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Conure is terrified of my yoga mat

Dashutt

Moving in
So I got a Pink/Purple yoga mat the other day from Amazon, opened it in the other room so there's no weird overlying trauma from a loud box opening, but whenever I pick this thing up from behind the setee to lay it out, our conure will scream more loudly than ever, and fly around like crazy. He's just terrified of it and I have no idea why, anyone know what might cause this? I've seen him dive bomb my cat and push her off her castle so I'm unsure why a Yoga mat is the the thing to push him over the edge haha

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
My birds freak out when I walk past with the watering can. I now have to walk past carrying it really low along the floor under their cages so they don´t see it.

Birds are weird. Sometimes there´s no reason, just that it scares them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's a new thing he's never seen before. That's really all that's needed for a fear response :)

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine also go nuts when I bring something big and new into the room. They recently freaked out over my crutches, and a few days ago the big blue ikea bags I was using to pack things. Some people even say changes to their physical appearance scared their birds, e.g. a new hair colour or painted fingernails.

Birds are weird! :lol:

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mine hate the stepladder. It's just a little two-step jobby to reach the top of the cabinets. Every time it budges an inch they fly panicked loops around the room. The broom and the vacuum elicit alarm calls, but the stepladder is clearly the scariest thing in the house. It's ridiculous.

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
My bird hates it when the garbage truck makes a "beep!" noise. He goes crazy. Rest assured your Conure is normal.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I've seen him dive bomb my cat and push her off her castle so I'm unsure why a Yoga mat is the the thing to push him over the edge
You have them in the same room? A small scratch from a cat will kill your bird. Super risky and unsafe.