• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My conure has me in tears

Francis1

Moving in
Hi all,
I'm new to this, but I'm so desperate for help I thought I'd reach out here. My sweet little conure turns all of a sudden into a demon for no reason. I don't know what to do.

I have read all the forums and professional help but nothing has worked. She (I think it's a girl we haven't had her tested) is about 6 months old, so to young I think for hormonal behavioural problems?

She has started attacking at random times so I'm not sure if it's something that causes it. It could be when we wake her up, or she could happily sit on my shoulder then attack my face. Or when we go close to her on her gym. She seems to be very moody and was never like this before. It changes all of a sudden.

The only thing I can think of that has changed in her routine is that we have been home constantly because of the restrictions of Corona virus.

Another reason that I think she may be biting from my research is that she is molting. But I don't know how to handle her behavior. I have tried saying no and ignoring her and all other sorts of methods mentioned in these forums and elsewhere. Nothing works. I try to discipline her and then go back about 10 min later to see if she's ok. But nothing works. Then I'm in tears, she must feel my sadness, because then she becomes sweet again and kisses me and is the bird I once knew. I love her so much, if this continues...even the thought of having to give her away has me in tears.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Monica will be able to give you great training tips.

All these behaviors can be changed with the right help and responses to her unwanted traits. Hang tight and I am sure you will get some help that will work for you if you are consistent.

Birds pick up on much more of our behaviors and reactions than we realize which often means we are actually reinforcing a bad behavior without knowing we are praising them for their unwanted behavior.

Francis1

Moving in
Thank you @Shezbug I'm more than willing to hang in there for my conure. And to learn how to handle her properly. I want her to continue to trust and love me. I know I might be inadvertently reinforcing bad behavior so would love to get any help possible. She does eventually calm down and is loving, but I'm afraid she will change at any minute. I guess my trust in her is wavering. She has drawn blood quite a few times.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
The first thing I would say is vet check...molting is a tough time...lots more baths or showers. Maybe more hands-off unless she is asking. Let's wait for Monica's input as she is so much more advanced than I am...I'm a bit lazy in the training area of things. Is it nice out where you can take her outside for some sunshine? Might be good for you as well. You should try to keep your routine similar to when you aren't home. Perhaps leave her in her cage during these times with lots of toys.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I generally don't discipline per-say but rather try redirecting to something. Maks lately has been super bratty when he gets out in the morning. I stop whatever we are doing and cover him with my hand...I then say "awwwww, are you my baby bird". He also does the "awwwww" and calms. I honestly have no idea if this is something that would work for others as most of the time I go buy instinct with each one...I have no idea how to translate that to training? @Monica am I just a weirdo? o_O:lol:

Francis1

Moving in
@webchirp thank you so much for the advice, we have started to put her in our spare room to mimic our previous 'routine'. We have only just started doing this yesterday and she was much better behaved. She did still get aggressive though when it was time for bed and we tried to close the cage. But other than that no random attacks.

This morning opening the cage for a little bit of out time before 'work' she again started to get aggressive. My husband said he tried your advise and covered her with his hand and scratched her head until she calmed down and she was ok. But does this reinforce negative behavour? Nevertheless, we will keep trying this and see how she goes.

I have learnt that she doesn't particularly like showers, and baths have always been on her own terms. She bathes maybe twice a week? I have tried to interest her more by running the tap on a shallow dish, but sometimes she just comes and drinks some water then walks away this morning I was finally able to interest her and she had a bath. She also seemed to enjoy her walk with me outside and had a strawberry from my plant.

I was thinking of taking her to the Vet to get her checked too. Poor little thing it must be very painful to be molting. Just that my sweet little Francis changing all of a sudden had me in shock and tears... I just hope she will be herself again soon. We appreciate any advise we receive. Thank you so much.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I’m not sure about it reinforcing the negative behavior honestly. I guess perhaps I treat them more like toddlers. Having a moment, let’s calm down? But he doesn’t act like that other times just to get the attention. It’s almost like he’s over stimulated when we first get up. Once he calms, things are okay.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
That is another thing with cheekies...overstimulation can make them little brats.

Francis1

Moving in
Thanks again @webchirp. This is the second morning since we have gone back to 'routine' and Francis was like herself again. She was happy to come out and see us, and has not attacked. Yesterday evening she was also very good. I'm still wary of her, but she seems back to normal.
I never would have thought she actually needed time away from us! Especially because usually when we come home from work she's happy that we are home but angry that we left her for so long!
Let's see how the rest of the week goes.. but I'm so happy she seems herself again. I'm sure I will need advice again once she goes through hormonal stage. But right now she's seems to be back to her sweet self.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Birds can easily get overstimulated and it sounds like that could have happened! Sometimes, too much time with us is not good for them! So shorter times out of the cage and let her back in to relax. Then bring her out again a bit later.

You can also do some target training with her! I would recommend starting with her inside the cage and getting her to target to any location within the cage. Try to figure out ways to reward her without getting bit, too! The very act of biting is self-rewarding, and the more times she has to practice biting, the more ingrained it becomes! So if you do get bit, simply get her off of you for a few moments (15-30 seconds is FINE! More if she's still in a bad mood - does not need to be 5 minutes or more unless she's still grouchy!) and try to think of how you can avoid that situation in the future. Now, rewards. You can have her reach through the cage bars in order to receive a reward, you could offer it via a spoon or drop into a treat cup. It doesn't matter how she gets it! And the reward should be the size of 1/2 to 1/4 of a sunflower seed.

Once she's good at targeting to any location within the cage, you can then work with the cage door open and around the outside of the cage. This can help stop or reduce cage aggression and make it easier getting her in and out of her cage. BONUS! Target training can also be used to get a bird off of your shoulder!!! ;)

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I cover him with my hand...I then say "awwwww, are you my baby bird". He also does the "awwwww" and calms.
I do exactly the same thing with Gigi! When she is charging at me for one reason or another, I drape my whole hand over her, not really touching and sweetly say "Where's my good girl?" and she stops, every time. You would think she would reach up and bite, but she never does.

Good luck with Francis. The people here are wise and full of great suggestions. I'm glad you are already seeing some positive changes!

Francis1

Moving in
Thank you @Monica, it's been a week now since francis' random attacks. And she is so much better. The only thing now is that she is a little nippy/grumpy in the morning, but ok after that.

I have done target training with her outside of the cage but never inside. So I have started doing that and she has been very good.

I definitely think that she was overstimulated and is almost back to normal. And is positively responding to the training and love. Thank you all so much.I know this is just the beginning and I'm happy to have a place to come ask questions. Happy little conure means happy bird parents!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
That's great to hear! :) I hope her behavior continues to improve for the better!