• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My continuing quest for a cage for my senior tiel

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think I have posted about this before, but I am still looking for a new cage for Rosie, 31 year old tiel. (Cassiesdad might have one I can use but I am looking to cover all my basis.) So, Rosie does not like to come out of his cage everyday. We're working on this but I don't want to force him. He comes out when he wants to come out. That, however, poses a challenge for me because the tiels sleep upstairs but both want to be downstairs during the day where the action is. LOL. So I need a cage I can carry up and down the stairs twice a day. Rosie's current cage is adequate but it has a drop down which I think confuses him and make it harder for him to come out. I found a cage that was 24 inches by 24 inches that I could carry. Ordered it and then realized all the bars are vertical. Sigh. Rosie needs at least 2 of the sides to be horizontal. He's not able to move around on the vertical bars. So when I started looking again at cages, I realized that all the cages I'm finding that might work only have vertical bars. Heavy Sigh. So in in short, I need a cage that's portable and light enough for me to carry. It has to have horizontal bars on at least 2 sides. About 1/2 inch bar spacing. Square or dome topped with a regular door. And I'd like it to be no smaller than 22 x 24 but bigger, of course, is okay. If anyone knows of this unicorn cage, please let me know. Rosie and I thank you. :)

NightOwls

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Why are horizontal bars needed? To make it easier to climb?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Why are horizontal bars needed? To make it easier to climb?
Yes, he doesn't have the best grip and he doesn't maneuver the vertical bars well.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Yes, he doesn't have the best grip and he doesn't maneuver the vertical bars well.
Can you show us the drop down that's causing problems? I'm wondering if we can adapt what he's currently used to and make it work better.

I've made little ramps out of thick cardboard, drilled holes along the edges, and affixed a piece of seagrass mat on top. I used a spare bolt and some washers from long gone toys. It's cheap, easily replaceable, and pretty quick to make. They give good grip, too, with all that texture.

Sorry for the photos. These ramps have had some remodeling done.

20210726_153106.jpg

20210726_153202.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Can you show us the drop down that's causing problems? I'm wondering if we can adapt what he's currently used to and make it work better.

I've made little ramps out of thick cardboard, drilled holes along the edges, and affixed a piece of seagrass mat on top. I used a spare bolt and some washers from long gone toys. It's cheap, easily replaceable, and pretty quick to make. They give good grip, too, with all that texture.

Sorry for the photos. These ramps have had some remodeling done.

View attachment 389781

View attachment 389782
Those are really good ideas. His problem is more though the location of the door. I thought the drop down door would be easier for him to get in and out- which is why I got it. But he doesn't seem to like to climb down to get out. He rattles the bars of his cage at the top like he wants them to open. I think he must have had a cage before where the entire door swung open. So he doesn't understand why he can't get out when he's on his upper perches. I thought in time he would get it and like it but it just seems to be a source of frustration from him. And when I try to lift him down to get out, he just gets upset- most days. Some days, he will let me.

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Could you weave some bamboo or cords between the vertical bars to make horizontal access?

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can we see some pictures of him? As well as his current setup?

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I have the vision cage by Hagen, but as the double. It’s the single with another layer on top to make it double height.if that makes sense…The single might work for you as it’s not so big to carry back and forth every day. It is all horizontal bars too which I really like. The doors can be swung inside or outside, on the inside they form a landing pad which Rosie might feel more comfortable with. Hope this gives a few ideas….

Attachments

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Will try to attach a better pic but of Bailey’s…excuse his cage, its clean out time tonight…:bored: ignore his camping cage behind the big one….hope it’s not too distracting from it.

edit - just took another pic without the camping cage behind it…

Attachments

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Could you weave some bamboo or cords between the vertical bars to make horizontal access?
It's a good idea. I can experiment. It would have to be super stable though and I don't know if I can make it stable enough but worth trying.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have the vision cage by Hagen, but as the double. It’s the single with another layer on top to make it double height.if that makes sense…The single might work for you as it’s not so big to carry back and forth every day. It is all horizontal bars too which I really like. The doors can be swung inside or outside, on the inside they form a landing pad which Rosie might feel more comfortable with. Hope this gives a few ideas….
I will look into those. Thanks.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Will try to attach a better pic but of Bailey’s…excuse his cage, its clean out time tonight…:bored: ignore his camping cage behind the big one….hope it’s not too distracting from it.

edit - just took another pic without the camping cage behind it…
It's a nice set up. I will definitely check them out. Thank you!