• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My cocktiel is acting very weird

KIWICHERIE

Strolling the yard
Hello!
i have a two year old cocktiel, Ducky. She has been hiding a lot more these days. She usually hides but she has been hiding behind pillows a lot more since yesterday. She seems tired and suddenly isn’t as hungry anymore. She still eats a normal amount, but isn’t as interested in food today. I’m not sure if she’s looking to lay eggs or something. Or maybe it’s just me. I’m posting here cause I’m just worried about her. Another thing, my cocktiel starts screaming a LOT in the morning at 9 to 10 in the morning until I come downstairs. Is there any specific reason to that?
(She’s constantly looking for places to hide. When she finds a spot she puts her butt on a pillow and starts chirping while moving left to right the whole time) Thanks!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would take away all hiding places, or block her access to them. This will be hard, and she might complain, but be persistent. She is thinking of them as nest sites, and you don’t want to encourage egg laying. And yes, since she is very hormonal, she could be more vocal. Is she caged when she’s being vocal? She might be calling because she wants to go to her nest. I’m not sure why she wouldn’t be as interested in food, unless it’s just because she’s too busy, but you also said she’s tired, so she could be getting ready to lay. If she continues to be tired, you should take her to the vet. Have you looked around for any eggs?

KIWICHERIE

Strolling the yard
I would take away all hiding places, or block her access to them. This will be hard, and she might complain, but be persistent. She is thinking of them as nest sites, and you don’t want to encourage egg laying. And yes, since she is very hormonal, she could be more vocal. Is she caged when she’s being vocal? She might be calling because she wants to go to her nest. I’m not sure why she wouldn’t be as interested in food, unless it’s just because she’s too busy, but you also said she’s tired, so she could be getting ready to lay. If she continues to be tired, you should take her to the vet. Have you looked around for any eggs?
She’s usually caged. She doesn’t really go to her nesting spot when we open her up. She’ll usually fly around. She usually starts hiding in the afternoon. She doesn’t seem tired at all right now. So it was probably just me. Thanks!