• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My cockatiel's leg. Please help

Raghad

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
raghad
Hello, 2 days ago I heard my cockatiel putting some little screams she does when something is hurting her (usually lose feather). I went to check after few screams as I was sleeping and there was no lose feathers but I noticed that she wouldn't put pressure on her left foot and there is no screaming any more. so I assumed she may have hurt it a bit somehow. I kept observing her since then. Her behaviour is the same but she would avoid climbing the cage but when I get her the food bowl she would eat with a good appetite. She can still climb the cage though but I guess she rather not sometimes. Today, I feel like it's not about her left leg, probably both legs. She can stand on her perch but I feel like there is a problem. I feel like they are swollen but I'm not sure, if they are swollen then it's not noticeable. She lifts her left foot when she's on the perch. She still eats and same behaviour its just her feet and I think she's not pooping as often but when she does, it's the usual. I'm really scared and unfortunately there is no vet in my country that have good knowledge of birds. I've tried alot of vets before and none of them ever cured my previous birds and they ended up passing away from their bad diagnosis. Any suggestions? Is there a specific test I can do for her? I really can't handle losing her
(Her face is down in the picture because she wanted some head scratches)

Attachments

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I hope she will be OK - no advice - but hopefully someone will see this and be able to help.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope she's okay. How old is she?

Raghad

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
raghad
I hope she's okay. How old is she?
Thank you! She's 3.5 years old.
I just noticed she was trying to scratch her head with her right foot but she couldn't get it out of her wing

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Her feet look okay from the picture, but it sounds like something is bothering her. Do the undersides of her feet look normal? I would try making things soft for her and giving her platform perches to help her be more comfortable. I hope she’ll be okay, she’s awfully cute!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Could have had a night fright & got the wing or foot caught in the cage. She appears to be in good condition.
Watch closely to make sure she eats & has water. Monitor the droppings.

They will put one foot up sometimes when they sort of nap. Keep an eye to see if something is bothering her.

Does she stay outside? Any wild birds around? There poop can have disease/parasites.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am sorry your bird seems to have a foot problem. Like others said foot looks ok from the photo. What is the measurement of the bar spacing in the outside cage? It looks big enough for a predators foot or beak to get through. I would be concerned. Where do you live so that we can try and help you find medical care for you bird.

Raghad

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
raghad
Her feet look okay from the picture, but it sounds like something is bothering her. Do the undersides of her feet look normal? I would try making things soft for her and giving her platform perches to help her be more comfortable. I hope she’ll be okay, she’s awfully cute!
Thanks alot! I checked under her feet and they seem normal. I'm keeping her on my bed the whole day to make sure she walks and stands comfortably. I'm also observing her I'm not gonna leave the house. But unfortunately she still has to sleep on her perch inside her cage as she gets so scared from new things so I can't put platform pearches

Raghad

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
raghad
Could have had a night fright & got the wing or foot caught in the cage. She appears to be in good condition.
Watch closely to make sure she eats & has water. Monitor the droppings.

They will put one foot up sometimes when they sort of nap. Keep an eye to see if something is bothering her.

Does she stay outside? Any wild birds around? There poop can have disease/parasites.
Thank you for your reply! I didn't notice a night fright as I always wake up when she does have one, that's why I'm confused and worried. She eats fine but I'm noticing that she's dropping less than usual, but when she does, it looks normal I think. And no she doesn't stay outside since it's almost 50c where I am lol. I only put her cage outside for 10 minutes while observing her through the window

Raghad

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
raghad
I am sorry your bird seems to have a foot problem. Like others said foot looks ok from the photo. What is the measurement of the bar spacing in the outside cage? It looks big enough for a predators foot or beak to get through. I would be concerned. Where do you live so that we can try and help you find medical care for you bird.
Thank you for your time! I only put her cage outside for 10 minutes because it's too hot in here and I always observe her through the window until I bring her inside again, so I'm sure no predators attacked her. I live in Kuwait, it's a small country so there aren't many options and we have no avian vets in here unfortunately :(

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Shes a beautiful tiel...Have to be careful with that extreme heat even 10 min could be burning...She is white & her pink feet. They do like sun but maybe very early & you should have her cage partially covered with a towel so she can go under if the heat is too bad. That sort of temp can heat a wire cage & burn her feet if she climbs on it.

Raghad

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
raghad
Shes a beautiful tiel...Have to be careful with that extreme heat even 10 min could be burning...She is white & her pink feet. They do like sun but maybe very early & you should have her cage partially covered with a towel so she can go under if the heat is too bad. That sort of temp can heat a wire cage & burn her feet if she climbs on it.
Thank you :) yes I'm aware of that, that's why my eyes are always on her when she's out and I make sure it's either in the morning or when it's like 4 pm. I'm very paranoid when it comes to that haha