• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My cockatiels are fighting.

Trace20

Moving in
I just got two cockatiels these are my first birds. I’ve been letting them get used to their new home in their cage. It’s been 24 hours and as far as I know they’ve been together since they left the breeder. It’s a male and female and the male is keeping the female from eating so she stands in a corner. But she’s not afraid to defend herself so she will fight back. When I got them I was told they’re inseparable but now they really don’t seem to like each other.

Fal

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alastair Jay
maybe try separating them for a bit until they get used to their surroundings completely?

Trace20

Moving in
Update I did separate them but all I have is a big box that I made a temporary perch in I don’t think I can trust them to be nice through the night so I removed the male

Fal

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alastair Jay
Update I did separate them but all I have is a big box that I made a temporary perch in I don’t think I can trust them to be nice through the night so I removed the male
ive always read to separate them unless someone wants to correct me, then be my guest :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Separating is a safe solution, but cage size might also be playing a role in this. They will fight if your cage is too small. Also, make sure you have at least two or three food bowls and two water bowls.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
They will fight if your cage is too small. Also, make sure you have at least two or three food bowls and two water bowls.
I think this nails it. Although the cage looks fairly large in your avatar do they have space to stretch their wings and exercise?

Trace20

Moving in
It’s a 32x20x24 cage but I had been wondering the same thing if I may have it setup wrong and they can’t really stretch out. Today is day 3 with them and I would like to just leave the top perch open and the front door hoping they’ll begin to get comfortable and work closer to me. Nymph my male is a little less fearful of me so I think he will probably take to exploring and stretching his wings faster than Holland. I did put nymph back in the cage last night and they woke up this morning seeming pretty happy with each other.

Trace20

Moving in
I’m also trying to setup a routine with them so they’ll eat fruit and veggies in the morning and their seed pellet and dried fruit mix in the evening so I only leave them millet hanging at night and take that away first thing when I give their chop to them in the morning.