• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

my cockatiel

yoyo65

Meeting neighbors
is it cruel to put my cockatiel outside my house door?

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Explain a little further

Do you mean outside without a cage and no protection from predators?

Or do you have an outdoor cage?
Or a picture of what you are talking about?

yoyo65

Meeting neighbors
Explain a little further

Do you mean outside without a cage and no protection from predators?

Or do you have an outdoor cage?
Or a picture of what you are talking about?
oh outside the door with the cage

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Why?
What is the reason you want to put your bird outside?

Is there shade?
Is it a suitable temperature outside?

Is this the same place you lost another bird from?

How long would you leave it outside in the cage alone?

You will always get better and more helpful answers if you describe the situation better.

yoyo65

Meeting neighbors
Why?
What is the reason you want to put your bird outside?

Is there shade?
Is it a suitable temperature outside?

Is this the same place you lost another bird from?

How long would you leave it outside in the cage alone?

You will always get better and more helpful answers if you describe the situation better.
look because my grandma says that it keep steping onto his food and it makes a mess and says the bird has bacteria and the feather keep droping

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
look because my grandma says that it keep steping onto his food and it makes a mess and says the bird has bacteria and the feather keep droping
Please understand that what I’m about to say is because I am honestly concerned for your birds safety, and also for you, with how much you’ve been worrying about things that most bird owners don’t have to worry about (such as closing windows, where the bird can be in the home, bacteria etc)- you can’t be enjoying your bird experience very much, it just sounds terribly sad and stressful that your bird is labelled as such a hassle and you’re constantly trying to come up with ways you can allow your bird a normal kind of captive life.

Would it maybe be a better option to find another home for your bird where the grandma/parents/owners are not likely to get so upset about natural behaviours from a bird?

If she seriously thinks they’re dirty, messy, full of bacteria (which they are most certainly not) and any pretty little dropped feathers are a problem for her then I’m guessing she’s not ever going to be happy or easy going about the bird in her home and living the way it should do, which, really isn’t fair on the bird.
It sounds to me like a bird in your grandma’s house isn’t a good idea as it annoys/upsets your grandma and that means that your bird cannot ever live it’s best life while in her house.
It doesn’t sound like a safe or happy environment for your bird and sounds like it’s basically just a recipe for disaster.

Maybe finding your bird a home where the people understand and embrace what your bird needs to live a good happy life would be the best thing for both you and the bird?

Would your grandma be ok with a fish tank in your/her home? Fish can’t fly out of open unscreened windows, they don’t drop mess anywhere, they don’t even make noise.

I honestly think putting your bird outside because it annoys your family members is a huge sign that the bird is not a good fit for that home. Unless you have a good size well designed aviary that you haven’t told us about I think it would be just cruel to leave the bird outside.