• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My cockatiel won't eat and is constipated, help?

tielluver

Strolling the yard
Real Name
pat pritchard
I hope he gets better. good that he seems a bit better. If you have another cage or can borrow one, it probably would be a good idea to separate them so the other bird doesn't get sick too. As he's feeling better, maybe try pellets, corn, peas (even canned is OK, try to get low or no salt added), potatoe, rice and millet, as well as the seeds. also I heard they like whole wheat bread soaked in milk, but you can't leave it sit too long or it would spoil, or I guess you could make it a bit mushy with water too. that way he also would ingest the water too. If not drinking he may get dehydrated. It's good if he eats the apple, also oranges, grapes, they have liquid too and will help him. mine like canned mandarin oranges. good luck

sama5sama

Moving in
thank you everyone for the positive thoughts. we took him to the vet, she said what monica said, it's likely to be a bacterial infection. we got this powdered general antiobiotic we mix with water. she said most cockatiels find it hard to survive after the first or second year, but after that develop a strong enough immune system. she said keep him warm too with a lamp. tielluver, yep we've put him in a different smaller cage.

all he really does is curl up and sleep, sometimes on the cage floor. he does occasionally come and eat, and fly, but will return to sleep afterwards, visually he's pretty much in the same condition for these 4 days. fortunately, his droppings aren't sticking anymore.

because he doesn't want to drink, we need to deliver it to him, but how frequent do i need to do it?and i know i need to be careful. how much of the powder do i put into his drinking bowl?- i'm currently doing like a quatre of a teaspoon? also, do cockatiels respond well to antibiotics, how long will it take until he visually looks better?

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
how much of the powder do i put into his drinking bowl?- i'm currently doing like a quatre of a teaspoon? also, do cockatiels respond well to antibiotics, how long will it take until he visually looks better?
Didn't the AV tell you?

sama5sama

Moving in
Didn't the AV tell you?
no, i didn't have much time with her, the practice was very busy- it's not an avian vet, it's a general vet. she just said "mix it with his water"

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What's the antibiotic? And his weight,,in grams,,that all help figure the dose. Antibiotics in water are not very accurate, since you cant control what they're getting. We can help you figure the dose, some of us are vet techs..usual dose is twice a day for 7 to 10 days..

sama5sama

Moving in
20% doxycycline, and unfortunately i don't have a scale. he's always been significantly lighter than his brother, i'd say around 65-75g. many thanks

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Who are you asking?
My lovie George died in a surgery to repair his prolapse over a decade ago. He was an elderly, small bird at the time. He had the prolapse for months and I'd like to think his last months were good because he certainly was loved and spoiled.

I was asking the OP.
However, I am very sorry about George.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that you went to the vet but you need to call and get the exact dosage. Oral medications are better than those that are mixed in water because you definitely know that your bird is getting the medication. Did the vet do any swabbing/culture or a gram stain?
You can purchase a digital scale that includes grams. They are inexpensive. It's important to know your bird's weight to determine dosage. Did the vet weight the bird? If so, you could call and get the weight.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
You can purchase a digital scale that includes grams. They are inexpensive. It's important to know your bird's weight to determine dosage. Did the vet weight the bird? If so, you could call and get the weight.
I got my scale at a sporting goods store and added a birdie stand. (The nearest pet store is over 1 hour away, but gun stores are close.) Is there a pet store nearby that your mom could drive you to for one?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Please listen and call the vet for an exact dosage and be extremely careful if you wind up syringe feeding him meds. The last thing you want is to get water in his respiratory system.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
20% doxycycline, and unfortunately i don't have a scale. he's always been significantly lighter than his brother, i'd say around 65-75g. many thanks
I'm sorry, that's vague, and dosent help....not your fault.please call back to get a calculated suspension amount.. according to the gram weight of your baby. The vet should have weighed him...I'm sorry your dealing with this..

sama5sama

Moving in
i appreciate everyone's help. the vet weighed him but i was sat opposite the vet's scale, had i known i would've asked. nonetheless, i'm going to see the vet today at 5 regarding the exact dosage, and weight because she was unclear during the 10min appoitment. it was the first time i visited a vet, in the future i'll ask better questions. as for how my bird is doing, i've noticed him drinking, and he's less puffed up, droppings are normal, but still mostly sleeps.

sama5sama

Moving in
My poor cockatiel died in my hands today. we buried him in our garden. admin please close this thread

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, I’m so very sorry for the loss of your little bird. You tried to do your best, and I’m sure your birds knew he was loved. Big hugs to you.
:sadhug2:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month