• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My cockatiel won't eat and is constipated, help?

sama5sama

Moving in
Hello all,

I own two cockatiels, both males, brothers and are roughly 1 year old. For the entire year i've had them, they appeared to be healthy, tamed them both by the 2nd month. Got the birds after a death of a loved cockatiel, which died last summer after weeks of diahhrea.

One of my birds, only recently for the past 3 days, looks very ill. It started with some conspitation, the cockatiel's stools were less runny than usual, which caused the droppings to stick to his bottom. He'd try to remove it using his beak, but gave up. i'd see him sat on the bottom corner of the cage sleeping. the next day, his bottom was a mess, so we cleaned it with warm water and a cotton bud, it was clear he was ill as he hadn't eaten much that day, nor drank. he seemed weaker when on my finger, and as of now, is spending most of the day sleeping, i can also hear gut noises too when bringing him close to me and his feathers are puffed up.

Rang the vet which weren't very useful, £25 per consultation, and they recommened me to put him down, depending on condition? which i'm not doing, i'll ring other vets. Do any of you guys happen to know whether it's a sign of something serious, like a condition, or whether the cockatiel is just tired due to the constipation? because it's happened very sudden, is there anything i can do to help?

Thanks

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Did you see the vet or just talk to him over the phone?
What is the diet like?

sama5sama

Moving in
Hi, i rang the vet and briefly explained what was wrong.
The diet is a cockatiel food seed mix- mainly white and red millet seeds, black and white sunflower seeds,groats, wheat seeds but there are other small seeds.
I think it's 10kg trill cockatiel food mix.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Take him to the vet. 25£ Isn't bad at all. He needs medical attention.

Why do you think the vet wasn't helpful? He told you your options and warned you that euthanasia MIGHT be needed.

A vet can't give out consultations for free. Your bird will likely die if you don't take him in now, it may already be too late.

Last edited:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is there any way you can get him to drink from a spoon? The gut noises your hearing are like our stomachs growling when were hungry. Try anything,... warm, but not too hot cooked oatmeal, applesauce, scrambled eggs. Cooked mashed sweet potatoes...try it all from the spoon or even your fingers,,hold it up to his beak,,,encourage him. I hope he eats and or drinks for you. Teils need veggies in they're diets as well. But, ultimately, he needs a vet, keep us updated. :hug8:

sama5sama

Moving in
Hi garet, i will take him to a vet. Even if i spend £25 for the consultation in that vet, the lady told me there aren't any vets who are familiar with birds on weekends, so i'll see how he is on monday. And i'm well aware thanks, which is why i've made an account and started a thread :)

sama5sama

Moving in
hi birdbade, thanks for the nice message. i didn't know the gut noises were from hunger, it made me think of something else:( i appreciate the advice, i'll try to hand feed him today as he's mostly been perching, he has been eating some seeds from my hand today, but doesn't really want to eat. i'll get him an appointment next monday, and in the mean time hopefully i can get him to eat more, especially the veggies. thanks

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope that your 'tiel will be OK.
You can check here for vets who are members of Association of Avian Veterinarians. Not necessarily avian certified but generally have experience with birds.
http://aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803
Have you weighed him? It's important to get some food and liquid into him. Try some softened foods, mash, or get some hand feeding formula.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sounds like your tiel is very sick & it needs a vet...

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope your little bird will be okay! Monday is a long time to wait for such a sick bird. :( We’re you able to get him to eat anything?

sama5sama

Moving in
we got him to eat some apple, and would see him eating some millet seeds. He was more active this morning, which is good to see, but still appears ill and sleeps. he's having this constpation like thing, where i hear him squeezing but the droppings wouldn't fall, it just sticks to his vent. the droppings are green and white, no odur. and i'm really struggling to get him to drink, even despite bringing the water to him. he's got a cage mate, should i leave them together?

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Have you cleaned his vent? If the droppings are sticking there, then things can get blocked up. When Buddy had her stroke, we needed to clean her vent daily. It's not difficult, just gently soaking of the bottom in luke-warm water, and the gently use of clean paper towels or toilet paper to remove the poop as it softens.

If there is poop around the vent, I'm thinking he's more impacted than constipated.

sama5sama

Moving in
we've cleaned his vent twice today, in the morning and now in the evening. you're right, he's probably impacted. the consistency of his droppings are sticky, so nearly all of them stick to his vent. haven't seen him drink today, so we got him to drink using a straw. i made sure he was eating throughout the day, he's in better shape than yesterday. it's all about keeping his strength for the appoitment tomorrow morning. will keep you guys updated. attached is before cleaning the vent

Attachments

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I'd be careful about giving him water like that he can wind up drowning if you don't do it right.

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
I'd be careful about giving him water like that he can wind up drowning if you don't do it right.
Make sure he is drinking the water independently, and that you aren't pouring it down his throat. When Buddy had her stroke, we had to give her water through a syringe. Too much at one time can cause a seizure or worse.

Yeah, that was definitely impacted poop. Keep up with the cleaning!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I hope the visit with the vet doesn't show anything serious,,:hug8:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The issues you are describing sounds like bacterial and/or fungal infections... and when they are sick, their poop tends to stick to them. It's not from constipation, but he does need meds.

A seed only diet isn't healthy for them either. Don't worry about it while he's sick, but if you can get him healthy again, you need to work on getting both of them onto a healthier diet.

Bird Safe Fresh Foods & Toxic Food Lists & More | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Converting Parrots to a Healthier Diet - Tips | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Years ago, my Lovebird, George, suffered from a cloacal prolapse. I fed him watered-down human baby food from a breeders syringe. It was very PURE. He especially liked sweet potatoes. Pooping was difficult (and probably painful) for him.
Get your bird to the vet asap, please. He sounds impacted! Best wishes to you both! :sadhug2:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is your bird doing today? Did you go to the vet? Hope he will be OK.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
How is your bird doing today? Did you go to the vet? Hope he will be OK.
Who are you asking?
My lovie George died in a surgery to repair his prolapse over a decade ago. He was an elderly, small bird at the time. He had the prolapse for months and I'd like to think his last months were good because he certainly was loved and spoiled.