• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My cockatiel won’t eat bigger pellets

Petzal

Moving in
Hi I just joined Avian Avenue, my cockatiel Harper has this thing where he won’t eat anything bigger than parakeet pellets and seed size. I feed him Zupreem fruitblend flavor pellets (For parakeets) and Kaytee seeds for parakeets. I’m switching him to the parakeet size Zupreem natural pellets, and also Zupreem seeds in that size, I don’t know if it has all the benefits of the cockatiel size because it’s smaller. He’s one year old, and also I’m trying to give him veggies but he won’t touch them. Thanks for reading!

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
Some birds are just picky about food size and shapes. If he likes only small things, I would suggest trying to cut up stuff really small, even using a food processor or blender to make the veggies super fine and see if he enjoys them that way. You can try lots of different techniques and presentations, my parrotlets loved when I would hang things from the celing like a strand of spagetti or nuts hung inside a foraging toy. It might take multiple tries for things. Sometimes it also helps if you pretend to eat them or play with them to show him that it's safe and interesting. It might look a bit silly to play with a piece of broccoli but it can really spark their interest sometimes if the person they trust seems to like it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The formulas for parakeet and cockatiel are identical. Many people actually prefer feeding a size smaller than their bird because it reduces waste.

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Yep the difference in pellet is only the size. I feed the very small pellets zupreem (for canaries and finches) to my parrotlets, and the parakeet size to my lovebirds. It’s way less mess and I feel they actually ingest more of the pellet as opposed to just spraying fragments of them everywhere while breaking them into bite sized pieces.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My macaw prefers the small size pellets (one size up from the budgie crumble size lol) and so do I! He doesn’t drop nearly half as much of the smaller ones- the big ones get bitten and half goes into the bird while the other half tends to go on the floor. The formulation is exactly the same so I don’t have a problem with him eating teeny weeny pellets :)

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can crush them & add them into food too! I didn't have a motar & pestle when I was doing it but my clean counter & a shot glass worked for the Tops pellets. I'd mix them into wet noodles & such trying to persuade Buddy to eat them. Some use oatmeal & scrambled eggs. As for the veggies, try & try again. Don't give up, it can take a really long time of presenting them in different ways. Even months before you find the way to get them to eat fresh. I cannot remember specific "teil ways" to try to entice them to eat fresh. I believe if it's a leaf lettuce or carrot top you can hang it from the top of the cage w/ a hanger slightly wet(they may nibble @ the leaf edge. I can't remember if its a budgie thing, a teil thing or both.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue @Petzal ! :starshower1:

Petzal

Moving in
Thanks, all of you guys! I literally searched up why he wouldn't eat anything bigger and I couldn't find anything. :)

Petzal

Moving in
Yep the difference in pellet is only the size. I feed the very small pellets zupreem (for canaries and finches) to my parrotlets, and the parakeet size to my lovebirds. It’s way less mess and I feel they actually ingest more of the pellet as opposed to just spraying fragments of them everywhere while breaking them into bite sized pieces.

Reply: I had two cockatiels before him and they literally sprayed the entire room with seeds and I was amazed at how far they could throw those seeds! Btw the picture of your birdie is adorable!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I have a bourke parakeet, 3 cockatiels, a green cheek conure, an african ringneck and a mitred conure here. I feed *all* of them the Harrison's Fine!

This works out since my mitred conure is missing half of his lower beak, so it just makes it easier for him to eat small foods. He *can* eat bigger pellets, but as mentioned, there's more waste! Especially when he can't control where the flying pieces go!