• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

my cockatiel laid 6 eggs and now after 20 days she started to lay eggs again she already laid 2 !!

pabbli

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi guys i just found this site i hope i can get HELP .
So after the 20 days she is still sitting on the 6 eggs im pretty sure they are unfertilized eggs and now she started to lay eggs again she already laid 2 she is still sitting on them so now there is 8 eggs that shes sitting on
it all started when i got a male cockatiel was like 2 weeks old when i got him now he is probably 9 Months .
then my neighbor who already had a male and a female cockatiel bought a cat after a while the male died so he gave me the female so i decided to put them together after a while the male started to lose feathers and he couldn't fly anymore
I took them to the vet and he gave me some vitamins time passed the male still can't fly i was cleaning the cage and i found an egg near the food so i got them a nest box the male refuses to inter the box and the female kept laying eggs . she laid 6 and she sat on them for the past 20 days male still refuses to inter the box and now she started laying again what should i do

Reshah

Meeting neighbors
I'm not trying to be rude but I don't think you should breed those birds. If the male cannot fly there is something very wrong with him. Only healthy and fit birds should be bred. If your hen is laying clutch after clutch she may be a chronic egg layer and if she passes that on to her children more birds with that flaw will come into the world. People that buy chronic egg layer hens end up being anious and distressed that their bird may die from egg bind. Keep your cockatiels for a while until they are healthy and fit then consider breeding them in a year or two or even buy another pair.

Don't give your hen a nesting box unless you want chicks and the pair is in good health and bonded. Otherwise you need to find ways to suppress breading behavior. You could try moving them to side by side cages so they cannot feed or preen each other and rearrange the cages even move them to a different area so they are not in a familiar place. I would remove the box and anything in the cage that forms a dark and enclosed space, that includes food dishes and toys. Pull down the box and take the eggs out and set them in the corner of the cage on the floor. If your cage has a grate put the papers under the grate so she cannot sit on them as a nest. Do not remove eggs until the hen is ignoring them and has been for some days. If you take her eggs while she is building a clutch she will simply lay more eggs eventually weakening or killing herself from the strain.

pabbli

Checking out the neighborhood
ok, i will try that .first time i saw the egg near the food i actually looked it up and i changed the entire cage and there place it was when she laid the 2nd egg 2 days later that i decided to get them the box

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I agree that it is a good idea to wait to allow these birds to breed. At least until you figure out what is wong with the male.

For now, remove the older eggs. They are null and void in the hens eyes now. She is laying a new clutch.

Try and kick her out of the cycle because things are currently quite a mess. Remove the box, remove all of the eggs. Rearrange her cage, move the cage somewhere else in the room, or rotate it. Move the food and water bowl. Really shake things up. If she continues to lay, collect the eggs, boil, allow to cool down, dot with a Sharpie (brand) pen, then put them back where you found them (likely on the cage floor in a corner). After 20 days, or sooner if she doesn't brood the egg(s), repeat the shaking things up process.
Be sure to offer calcium rich veggies, as well as pellets.
Put her on a 13/11 sleep cycle; 13 hours darkness undisturbed, and 11 hours bright daylight - if the weather isn't sunny where you live, invest in an LED lamp to brighten up the room.

Reactions: tka