• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My cockatiel keeps scratching her head

Birdilove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Fatemeh
So she’s 5 and a half months old and is going through her first molt and she is losing lots of feathers. She first started itching her head first and it was fine but then I saw it being really dry, and now it looks like she injured it pretty bad from scratching. We don’t have any vets were we live. Is there any kind of oil / Vaseline I can put on or tetracycline for it to heal. I had a bird a while back that had issues with picking her feet and tetracycline completely help her feet heal. What should I do. Should I leave it alone or apply something to it.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can try giving her a bath/misting her with some water. I don't think I would put anything on it but will tag some people to see what they think.

@Tiel Feathers ? @Mizzely ? @Birdbabe ?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You can put the aloe vera gel from the plant into some water and spritz her a couple times a day,

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is she housed alone or rubbing it on something?

I hesitate to put anything on it but aloe might be ok

Birdilove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Fatemeh
Is she housed alone or rubbing it on something?

I hesitate to put anything on it but aloe might be ok
The cockatiel is my niece’s bird ( she’s nine) and was housed alone. She brought the bird to my house so I can keep an eye on her, i have 4 other cockatiels and she loves playing with the other birds. I washed the area with sterilized water a few times yesterday and dried it real nice to keep it clean. It seems to be healing much better today, but I think i might buy some aloe leafs and use the gel on her head to help it heal faster.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When you have birds its a good idea to keep an aloe plant in you home. It is considered a safe plant around birds.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Triple Antibiotic Cream, also known as TAO, is the usual ointment recommended by gets for shallow wounds. Clean area with warm water and apply a small amount to the wound; just a scant amount. Do not apply to deep cuts unless a vet recommends it.

Aloe is wonderful for keeping a skin problem moist, clean and promotes healing.