• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My cockatiel just lost his second mate. How to help him?

Zyra

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
I'm not sure if this is the proper place. If not please let me know!!

Giles is 23. A few years back he lost his bonded mate. Then he nearly died from BBQing his foot. Then he flew away outside. Then he got shuffled from new home to new before coming back to me forever. He's been incredibly clingy since his bonded mate died. Since he had been with another female during his shuffle I adopted her for him to have a cage companion. She just died this morning. And I'm pretty sure it's my fault. My own grief and crushing guilt aside, I don't know what to do with Giles. The last time his mate died it nearly killed him. I don't know how bonded he was to Fluffy, but I don't want him upset again. He loved waking up with her and screaming at the sun every morning. How do I help him adjust? He's already super clingy from his first mate. I don't want to traumatize him more. Should I eventually get him another cage mate so he's not alone when I'm gone? He's never really been alone before.

I feel absolutely awful about killing such a beautiful, active bird. Giles doesn't deserve to lose yet another mate. I'm determined to help him so it's not as awful as the first time. He never really got a chance to grieve. So far I don't think he's aware that she's dead.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am sorry for your loss. I think for right now, just try to spend extra time with him. When you're ready, he would probably like another bird around. Keep in mind though that they may not want to share a cage. And any new bird should be quarantined for at least 30 days before introducing them. And then I would still have them caged separately and see if they want to share a cage or not.