• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My cockatiel just laid an egg

cucu

Sitting on the front steps
Hey everyone!

A few weeks back I got my cockatiel a partner and they have been mating on a regular basis and they have mated today morning as well. Today evening, the hen started acting differently. She was being aggressive and seemed a little disturbed. We have this small area that is covered on 3 sides and my cockatiels usually use that place as their hiding spot or when they play peekaboo. Today evening my hen stayed in that area for an unusual time so i took a look at her and she was hissing at me so i stepped back, a few minutes back my hen walked out of the area really tired and trying her best to walk properly. So i peeped into the area and found an egg :laughing2: it's so cute!

But now, the thing is that this is my first time experiencing such a case so I do not know what to do. However, i do know that the birds sit on their eggs but none of my cockatiels were interested in being around the egg although they would look at it, they would go close to it or sit on it.

I called a bird pharmacy to enquire about it and I was told that the birds might not accept the egg since it wasnt laid in a nesting box.

Could you guys please help me out. What do i do with the egg if they dont accept it? If they accept it where do i keep it? do i get them a nesting box?

Thanks in advance

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That is great she laid with no issues :)

I was told that the birds might not accept the egg since it wasnt laid in a nesting box.
No, this makes no difference. Some birds will lay and raise chicks right on the cage floor if they have enough will and the humans let them (not recommended).

the thing is that this is my first time experiencing such a case so I do not know what to do.
If you don´t know what to do, or haven´t researched thoroughly, then take the egg, give it a boil for a few mins, let it cool down and put it back in her little area. Mark it with a dot of pen so if she lays more you will be able to figure out which is which much quicker.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would take away that little cozy corner area to discourage egg laying in the future. Cockatiels don’t sit on the first egg, but might after more are laid. I would boil the egg as suggested, and/or get some dummy eggs that you can use to replace the real egg. Follow the directions on the package. Let her lay a full clutch and sit on them if she wants, and in a few weeks when she gets bored of them, take them all out.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I also think you are best to boil the egg (and replace once cooled) and remove the nesting type area too.