• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My cockatiel just got attacked by my dog.

Rimuru

Moving in
Real Name
Mackenzie
My cockatiel just got attacked by my dog. He seems ok he only lost a few feathers on his head. What do I do. I don’t have a car to get him to a vet.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
First of all, catch your bird. Keep him in a warm, dark space - a carrier is ideal. He will probably be in shock so you must keep him calm and let him have time to recover.

It's very important that you take him to the vet. Dog salivia contains bacteria that can be fatal to birds and can enter from the smallest graze or scratch. He needs antibiotics to kill these bacteria. Can you get someone to drive you to the vet? Can you book a taxi or similar?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Your bird needs to get to a vet for antibiotics. The saliva of many dogs and almost all cats contains Pasteurella bacteria which is almost 100% fatal to birds.

I hope you keep your dog and your bird totally separated from now on - that is your responsibility.

Rimuru

Moving in
Real Name
Mackenzie
First of all, catch your bird. Keep him in a warm, dark space - a carrier is ideal. He will probably be in shock so you must keep him calm and let him have time to recover.

It's very important that you take him to the vet. Dog salivia contains bacteria that can be fatal to birds and can enter from the smallest graze or scratch. He needs antibiotics to kill these bacteria. Can you get someone to drive you to the vet? Can you book a taxi or similar?

Rimuru

Moving in
Real Name
Mackenzie
Your bird needs to get to a vet for antibiotics. The saliva of many dogs and almost all cats contains Pasteurella bacteria which is almost 100% fatal to birds.

I hope you keep your dog and your bird totally separated from now on - that is your responsibility.

My parents aren’t home

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When will your parents get back?

Is there a neighbour or family friend that can take you? If they can, make sure you sit in the backseat, wear a mask and have the windows down.

Rimuru

Moving in
Real Name
Mackenzie
When will your parents get back?

Is there a neighbour or family friend that can take you? If they can, make sure you sit in the backseat, wear a mask and have the windows down.
My cockatiel just got attacked by my dog. He seems ok he only lost a few feathers on his head. What do I do. I don’t have a car to get him to a vet.

My parents are on vacation and won’t be back until this weekend.

Rimuru

Moving in
Real Name
Mackenzie

How much will the vet visit be?

Rimuru

Moving in
Real Name
Mackenzie
My parents aren’t home. How much will the vet visit cost??

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your cockatiel needs to see a vet today. Definitely before your parents get back.

Vet visits differ depend on practice and region/country. My vet in London, UK charges £35 for an appointment. As you are a minor, please don't tell us exactly where you live, but if you can give a rough idea - your nearest large city, region or country - we might be able to give you a vet recommendation.

Rimuru

Moving in
Real Name
Mackenzie
Your cockatiel needs to see a vet today. Definitely before your parents get back.

Vet visits differ depend on practice and region/country. My vet in London, UK charges £35 for an appointment. As you are a minor, please don't tell us exactly where you live, but if you can give a rough idea - your nearest large city, region or country - we might be able to give you a vet recommendation.
I have no way to get to the vet today, and I wouldn’t be able to pay for the visit plus everything else he might need. I’m really scared he might die, I don’t know what to do.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If your parents are out of town, is there someone caring for you who can take you?
Or are you old enough you can travel alone, ie taxi or train, bus etc.

Can you call a friend or family member, or a friends parents? Maybe they can help with the bill and sort it with your parents at a later time. Have you told your parents what is going on? Maybe they left emergency money.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Call your parents and talk to them.

Explain that your cockatiel needs to see a vet and get antibiotics today. They may know who you can call for a lift to the vet - a neighbour, a family friend, one of your friend's parents - and they may be able to help you with paying for the vet. Offer to do some chores around the house or something to pay them back. Did they leave any emergency money, or a debit or pre-paid card for you to use if you need it?

Rimuru

Moving in
Real Name
Mackenzie
If your parents are out of town, is there someone caring for you who can take you?
Or are you old enough you can travel alone, ie taxi or train, bus etc.

Can you call a friend or family member, or a friends parents? Maybe they can help with the bill and sort it with your parents at a later time. Have you told your parents what is going on? Maybe they left emergency money.

My parents aren’t responding, no they didn’t leave any
Call your parents and talk to them.

Explain that your cockatiel needs to see a vet and get antibiotics today. They may know who you can call for a lift to the vet - a neighbour, a family friend, one of your friend's parents - and they may be able to help you with paying for the vet. Offer to do some chores around the house or something to pay them back. Did they leave any emergency money, or a debit or pre-paid card for you to use if you need it?

They aren’t responding, no they didn’t leave any money. I don’t know if we could afford the vet visit right now. He’s looking better and he isn’t bleeding so I might be able to wait until the weekend, I don’t really have any other options.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do you have grandparents? and Auntie, uncle? Neighbour? Friend of your parents you can call?
Have you managed to get to speak with your parents yet?

He’s looking better and he isn’t bleeding so I might be able to wait until the weekend
This doesn´t mean a lot in the bird world. You will be very surprised at how well a bird can hide when something is wrong. Also, we cannot see when our birds are suffering from toxicity until it is too late.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Keep trying to contact your parents - leave a voicemail, message them, email them if they have an email account linked to their phone. Are there any adults you trust who may be able to help you? If so, contact them.

I agree with @Zara - bacteria can get in through the tiniest of cuts and we can't see its effects until it's too late.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Just wipe him off as best you can and try to comfort him. If he didn’t bleed perhaps there’s not a problem.

What they’re telling you is correct, IF your dog had bacteria in his mouth it could harm the bird. Dog saliva itself is not toxic to birds. So if there’s no cut or scrape you’re probably in the clear.

If the bird seems in shock it definitely needs to visit the vet.

Honestly my dog grabbed one of my cockatiels recently and she was fine. A few yearas ago the same dog had a parrotlet in her mouth — all you could see was the tail. We wrestled it away. It was fine. So please do not panic too much or scare your parents.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Ditto

Please make sure you always have a way to get to the vet for your bird. Its best if you have a just in case plan ahead of time. Find a friend who drives, take a bus or taxi, call vet and see if they have a space for you.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
What they’re telling you is correct, IF your dog had bacteria in his mouth it could harm the bird. Dog saliva itself is not toxic to birds.
I'm pretty sure all dogs and cats have at least some gram negative bacteria in their mouths. They lick their butts and paws all the time.