• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My cockatiel is very aggressive when around my new cockatiel

BirdLover9

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello All,

I have a cockatiel that is about a year old (named Mac) who has always been a sweet bird for the most part. Recently he has been more aggressive in certain scenarios but I am sure that is just because of his hormones and what not so I have just been more careful when handling him.

I used to have a second cockatiel named Her, who passed away while I was on vacation and my father was supposed to be watching them. He claims that Mac killed Her, but I was always skeptical about whether this was true because she just happened to be very fragile and my father is very careless. With that said I also know that Mac used to act mean towards her and he was very aggressive whenever he was around Her and I know that birds do have mating aggression sometimes so I've never completely dismissed what could have happened. They were housed in the same cage.

Since then Mac has been alone and I actually got a new Cockatiel, who I named Dani, a couple of days ago. I currently have them housed in two different cages in two different rooms and I am trying to figure out how to properly introduce them to avoid another issue and to get Mac to not be so possessive and aggressive with the new bird. They call to each other often, and I feel bad that I cannot have them together, but the first time I tried to introduce them Mac started biting the new bird and was aggressive towards me when I tried to separate them.

I have been reading online about what to do and I brought Mac near the new bird's cage to try something and the second he was off of my finger ad on top of the new bird's cage he started lunging and hissing at me. I always have to resort to grabbing him with a towel so he doesn't draw blood as he has done on several occasions.

If anyone has any tips on how to possibly correct Mac's aggression and introduce him properly to Dani I would greatly appreciate it.

Aves

Rollerblading along the road

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
If anyone has any tips on how to possibly correct Mac's aggression and introduce him properly to Dani I would greatly appreciate it.
Don't.

You're not going to be able to change Mac's mind. He might change it on his own down the road, but even then I would remain wary of letting them out together, and never under any circumstances cage them together. If he doesn't want to be friends with Dani, you can't force it. Even if he does want to be friends but is being overly possessive... Keep them in separate cages, let them out separately, don't allow him to aggress. This is especially true if he really did kill Her.

They can still communicate vocally and keep each other's company from their respective places. However bad you may feel keeping them apart, I bet you'd feel much worse if something were to really happen.

Pistachio

Meeting neighbors
Since then Mac has been alone and I actually got a new Cockatiel, who I named Dani, a couple of days ago. I currently have them housed in two different cages in two different rooms and I am trying to figure out how to properly introduce them to avoid another issue and to get Mac to not be so possessive and aggressive with the new bird. They call to each other often, and I feel bad that I cannot have them together, but the first time I tried to introduce them Mac started biting the new bird and was aggressive towards me when I tried to separate them.
A little bit off-topic, but it is never a good idea to bring a new bird into the same room as your old bird before quarantining them for the proper amount of time (1-2 months), especially if you're new bird was previously housed or in the same room as another bird. This is a safety precaution that everyone should take with a new bird to make sure no diseases are spread.

In regards to Mac's aggression, I would agree with feather. Even if you find some way to correct his behavior, old habits die hard. You should never trust an aggressive or previously aggressive bird around another bird without direct supervision. Also, you shouldn't keep birds together who have had significant fights (not just the little squabbles, I mean big fights). From what you said I can't tell how aggressive Mac was towards Dani, but because you say he has aggressive tendencies it would be in the birds' best interest to keep them apart unless under supervision in a large, neutral space where neither bird may become territorial.

BirdLover9

Don't.

You're not going to be able to change Mac's mind. He might change it on his own down the road, but even then I would remain wary of letting them out together, and never under any circumstances cage them together. If he doesn't want to be friends with Dani, you can't force it. Even if he does want to be friends but is being overly possessive... Keep them in separate cages, let them out separately, don't allow him to aggress. This is especially true if he really did kill Her.

They can still communicate vocally and keep each other's company from their respective places. However bad you may feel keeping them apart, I bet you'd feel much worse if something were to really happen.
Thank you for this advice.
From what you and the other individual have said I have gotten a better understanding of what I should do. I will keep them caged separately in different rooms for the time being and possibly introduce them in a neutral area after the new bird has quarantined. I’m going to keep an eye on Macs aggressiveness as you said and not let it progress.

I really do appreciate the help. I am rather clueless about birds since I’m a relatively new owner. Thank you

BirdLover9

A little bit off-topic, but it is never a good idea to bring a new bird into the same room as your old bird before quarantining them for the proper amount of time (1-2 months), especially if you're new bird was previously housed or in the same room as another bird. This is a safety precaution that everyone should take with a new bird to make sure no diseases are spread.

In regards to Mac's aggression, I would agree with feather. Even if you find some way to correct his behavior, old habits die hard. You should never trust an aggressive or previously aggressive bird around another bird without direct supervision. Also, you shouldn't keep birds together who have had significant fights (not just the little squabbles, I mean big fights). From what you said I can't tell how aggressive Mac was towards Dani, but because you say he has aggressive tendencies it would be in the birds' best interest to keep them apart unless under supervision in a large, neutral space where neither bird may become territorial.
Thank you so much for letting me know this. I appreciate it. I had no idea that I was supposed to quarantine the new bird. They never mentioned that to me when I purchased a new bird and told them I already had a bird at home. But I guess that’s a bit of my fault for not doing my own research. I actually have a wellness checkup appoint at the vet tomorrow for the new bird Dani so I’ll make sure to let them know I did let them together prematurely.
I am going to do just what you said as far as keeping them separate. Mac was not super aggressive because I am very apprehensive and I separate them at the slightest quarrel. He is more aggressive towards me when I do try and get them apart. Once the new bird has quarantined properly I will let be together in a neutral space and keep a close eye on them.