• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Cockatiel hates me in the presence of stuffed birds/bird looking toys?

LanaDelina

Moving in
My tiel is the sweetest boy in the world. He loves getting pets, learning new things, and just snuggling whenever he gets the chance. However, over the last couple of months, I've noticed a strange behavior. (he is almost one for reference).

There was an occasion where my boyfriend and I noticed that our tiel would put on a show if we showed him a stuffed bird toy (this chicken toy that's thrice his size) he would start singing, beeping, and doing all the tricks his little self knew. He does this with any bird-looking stuffy, a lego version of a cockatiel, and he seems to enjoy it very much. However, in the presence of a stuffy, he becomes very aggressive towards me. If i try to move his "friend" away, he'll hiss and launch to bite. He wants nothing to do with me and almost becomes this totally different bird. If the stuffy continues to be in view, he is desperate to get back and close to it. However, if I fully remove it from his view, after five minutes he goes back to his old self, and you would think nothing happened.

I'm worried that this might be foreshadowing how he'll act if we get him a real tiel friend. As much as I want to get him a friend, I'm not sure if his constant territorial anger is healthy to him, me, or even the other possible bird.

Am I on to something?

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I don’t think it’s foreshadowing that. My budgie Phoenix gets super aggressive toward me whenever he is around soda cans (it’s peculiar, but he sees them as mates :roflmao: ) he’s been like that his whole life but when I got him a friend, Raijū, he was never aggressive toward me. I think it’s a matter of if you’re “interfering” with their “mate” that makes them aggressive, and your tiel shouldnt see a new friend as a mate