• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My cockatiel got his cast off but isn’t using his leg

Linaa

Moving in
Real Name
Lina
The vet had said it will be stiff, and I know that would be the case, I’m just extra anxious about it. He doesn’t grasp and sometimes doesn’t put weight on it. When he does walk with it, he does wiggle his toes. So I know he can move all of his digits, and put weight on it, but he obviously doesn’t want to.
I’ve read a AAHA accredited vet’s page about physical therapy for birds’ legs. And I have been gently massaging and moving his little toes and leg. He doesn’t seem to mind as long as I scratch him while I do it lol! But I’m just worried. Has anyone else had experience with how they react for the first few weeks without their cast? He just turned 3 months old February 1st.
Also! I still have his pain meds & know the correct dosage from when he broke his leg. Do you think I should give him some medicine prior to working out his leg? I also put him on a thick rope perch to help him learn to perch, when I first got him I don’t know if his leg was already broken, or if it broke from him flying out of my arms, when I met him in the store he still couldn’t perch then. He can perch pretty well now compared to then with assistance or just on a thicker rope perch, but he can’t on a normal wooden one that I have for my parakeets. Sorry so many questions! I just hope he can perch and play again soon.

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
When anything goes in a cast, it does what is called 'artophy'. The muscles are not used and weaken- many times it is even visible. So it is not just 'stiffness' but also 'weakness' and being so young, this recovery will be even more difficult. I have had to do physical therapy on many different species- massage is good, helping them move is good.
Diet:
1. For recovery- try adding a bit extra protein to the diet (hard boiled egg), as the muscle fibers awaken- they need protein to heal.
2. Try to avoid simple carbs like bread as that will cause very mild innflammation.
Environment:
1. The rope perch is great. Also make sure non of the perches are 'dowels'
2. Do you have grates at the bottom of the cage? if so, cover them with a towel or remove. The grates cause pressure points- and feet that are not working properly can easily get stuck
3. Try to 'coax' your bird into walking- even flat surface is acceptable- the more uneven the terrain the better. a few granuals of millet on each side of the dining room table, etc.
4. Mentally- provide extra stimulation like foraging.... dopamine and adrenaline goes a long way in recovery :)

Meds- not sure which meds they gave you? meloxicam? etc. I would vote no. They can sometimes impede the healing process or make 'over confidence' which can cause DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) which can hinder process the following day.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Ugh, i hit ener too fast:
Meds-
Try adding a few things to the food:
1. Turmeric (natural anti inflammatory)
2. Tart cherry juice (alcohol free)
3. Cayenne pepper
4. Fresh aloe vera leaves to munch on
5. Add a probiotic if possible

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Have you ever had a cast on a broken arm or leg? When the cast comes off your limb is weak and stiff from not being fully used. It was 3 months before I could walk properly, I still had to use crutches for 2 of those months.

Linaa

Moving in
Real Name
Lina
Have you ever had a cast on a broken arm or leg? When the cast comes off your limb is weak and stiff from not being fully used. It was 3 months before I could walk properly, I still had to use crutches for 2 of those months.
No I’ve never broken a bone haha. But my friend had and while he was stiff he was fine after, besides that I’ve not known anyone who has broken anything.

Linaa

Moving in
Real Name
Lina
When anything goes in a cast, it does what is called 'artophy'. The muscles are not used and weaken- many times it is even visible. So it is not just 'stiffness' but also 'weakness' and being so young, this recovery will be even more difficult. I have had to do physical therapy on many different species- massage is good, helping them move is good.
Diet:
1. For recovery- try adding a bit extra protein to the diet (hard boiled egg), as the muscle fibers awaken- they need protein to heal.
2. Try to avoid simple carbs like bread as that will cause very mild innflammation.
Environment:
1. The rope perch is great. Also make sure non of the perches are 'dowels'
2. Do you have grates at the bottom of the cage? if so, cover them with a towel or remove. The grates cause pressure points- and feet that are not working properly can easily get stuck
3. Try to 'coax' your bird into walking- even flat surface is acceptable- the more uneven the terrain the better. a few granuals of millet on each side of the dining room table, etc.
4. Mentally- provide extra stimulation like foraging.... dopamine and adrenaline goes a long way in recovery :)

Meds- not sure which meds they gave you? meloxicam? etc. I would vote no. They can sometimes impede the healing process or make 'over confidence' which can cause DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) which can hinder process the following day.
Thank you! I’ll do all of this. You really think he’s gonna be all good then? I’ve been so worried just seeing him limp. Also is it easy for birds to learn to perch? The other two I have haven’t ever broken anything and knew how to perch already, it feels so sad him sleeping on the bottom of the cage & walking on flat surfaces. Like I’d said he’s gotten better but I’m just worried about his little leg. And I figured it’d take longer since he’s younger and didn’t have much muscle to begin with, if he does get better do you think it’ll be around 4 weeks as the vet had said?

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@Linaa
4 weeks is usually the recommendation. But you may find that it happens at his/her own pace. Just keep up the good work, and let us know if there seems to be lack of progress or a symptom (emotional or physical) arises.

Birds know they need to perch, but getting the dexterity takes time.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ask the vet if you can learn to do some physical therapy for your bird.